Sinister: a summer wasting - or, it's hot outside

clairk at xxx.edu clairk at xxx.edu
Thu Aug 21 23:45:17 BST 2003

Hello.  There's been a flurry of posts in the last 24 hours, it seems, so I
figure I'll make like a Californian and throw my hat in the ring, only,
y'know, not for governor.  (Although I do have some interesting ideas for
balancing the budget, but that's neither here nor there.)

I've noticed in the past that my Belle and Sebastian listening habits are
faintly related to the weather.  When the first warm day of spring hits and
the snow has completely melted (this is usually like the end of April
around here), I generally will listen to Tigermilk for days on end.  Today
I listened to If You're Feeling Sinister to commemorate the fact that it's
not a hundred degrees out for once; I find that I can't really get into
chamber pop when it's 98 degrees outside and we have no air conditioning,
and I end up listening to Hot Hot Heat.  (Corollary: It never occurred to
me that Hot Hot Heat was somehow an appropriate band for listening to on a
hot day until I was writing this.)

At any rate, so I think I'll probably let this record establish a residency
in my CD player for a while, like when I listened to nothing but Sgt
Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band for over a week.  I ended up deciding it
wasn't my favourite Beatles album after all.  I don't know how this
experiment will turn out.

The Minnesota State Fair starts today, and I really should make a point of
going this year.  I managed to miss it last summer but state fairs seem
like such an integral part of being Midwestern that it's a wonder I've
never actually been to one.  I can't imagine how a hayride would work
considering Minnesota's fairgrounds are in the middle of a huge city, but
I'm sure they make up for that somehow.  Also I bet they carve things out
of butter.  Hideous!

I eagerly anticipate my radio show this term; I can't decide whether I
should have it on a Monday so that I can turn 21 on the air or if I should
have it on a Tuesday so I can play Dear Catastrophe Waitress,
uninterrupted, on the day it comes out.  They'll probably put my show on a
Thursday or something.

I look forward to many reports! back! from the gigs! and will myself be
waving at the band's plane as it flies overhead.  Unless they've already
done that.  Pity.

unconfined by labels,
-kevin