Sinister: don't be afraid, you have just got your eyes closed

lynsey callaghan lcallaghan1981 at xxx.com
Sat Aug 23 12:50:37 BST 2003

Well, hello sinister,
My, my, hasn't it been a long time? I know you've been around but I haven't
been paying too much attention, you've been kind of like the doddery old
grandmother who sits in the corner and reads out crossword clues when you're
trying to watch eastenders. A distraction, although not an altogether
unpleasant one. Just badly timed.
So I've been busy, for the first time in ages, instead of earning myself a
reputation for sitting in pubs and coffee shops. I have a job. It's quite
good. I have some money. That's also quite good.
I'm getting all excited and flustered and watery-eyed about the prospect of
a belle and sebastian album, which, by most accounts , is going to be
something of a cracker. I've tried to cheekily download some of the album
tracks on Kazaa, but it's not having any of it. How am I going to wait any
longer?!?!

This week, I went to the north of Sweden, to Lapland and into the arctic. I
stood on the polar circle, which was something of an anticlimax really. A
big curved log and a visitor's centre which sold fluffy reindeer toys and
keyrings and fluffy mocassins. A toilet you have to pay 50p to use. A sign
in severl languages, of which I could read only one, and vaguely understand
one more. Living in Scandinavia has its downfalls, the biggest one being
that you really, truly realise your ineptitude for learning languages. I can
speak English (although some would beg to differ on that point), and a
little Spanish, basic german. Some of the people I met this weekend can
speak Swedish, Finnish, Saami, English and German. Phew. Anyway. So the
arctic circle probably wasn't even the arctic circle this week, since it
moves according to its mood (honest), so I mayhave been on the Arctic Circle
(TM), or i may have been nearly a kilometre away. but who's going to know
from looking at a photo of me grinning and jumping off a log under a sign
that says *Polcirkeln'?
I also went to the world's largest underground mine (TM) and a big old hole
in the ground to pick up shiny bits of rock. I think I was supposed to pay
more attention, but who could do that when there are big shiny bits of metal
everywhere. eh? Geology schmeology, I'm only in it for the gold.

I haven't really anything constructive to add on teh subject of tweeness,
since I'm neither twee nor anti-twee, but even if I did, I don't think I
could articulate it any better than has already been done. It's been nice to
read some more sinister posts after the recent drought. It's also been nice
rediscovering #sinister after a month-long absence. You should all come
along, really! It's not all about bums and smut. Well, not all the time.

In other news, I'm going to be back in the UK for two weeks at the start of
october. It's going to be a two week frenzy of wine-swilling, gig-going and
record-buying, and I can't WAIT. I'm going to be in London and Glasgow, and
possibly several places in between, so if there's going to be anything
sinisterish happening around that time,or you just fancy going to the pub
for a big old chat,  please do let me know. And if anyone wanted to organise
a picnic or pubnic around that time (hint, hint...) that would be just
lovely.

I should really go and do some work now.

love, volvos and reindeer steaks,
lyns
xox