Sinister: Tweemore Stein

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Sun Aug 24 18:04:44 BST 2003

"what is your definition of emo, twee, and or any
other hip music category that you might be able to
help me define. all i know is weezer is emo, b&s is
twee, and modest mouse is indie. what is used to
define these placements, and is there a hierarchy?"

The Concise and Blunt Idleberry Dictionary, 2003
Edition, Sinister Publications Ltd.

emo: (adjective)(1) lazy method of defining music
according to its beat, tone, pitch, vocals, and choice
of musical instruments. Used by people who don't
actually like music enough to listen to it properly.
(2) Stereotype of person or people who listen to a
particular band or bands, judged on basic observations
of appearance, attitude, and behaviour.

twee: (adjective) (1)lazy method of defining music
according to its beat, tone, pitch, vocals, and choice
of musical instruments. Used by people who don't
actually like music enough to listen to it properly.
(2) Stereotype of person or people who listen to a
particular band or bands, judged on basic observations
of appearance, attitude, and behaviour.

indie: (adjective) lazy method of defining music
according to its beat, tone, pitch, vocals, and choice
of musical instruments. Used by people who don't
actually like music enough to listen to it properly.
(2) Stereotype of person or people who listen to a
particular band or bands, judged on basic observations
of appearance, attitude, and behaviour.

Hope that helps clear things up, Tamara.

Personally, I think anyone who aspires to being twee/
emo/ indie is socially inept. If you have an issue
with being yourself and instead feel the need for a
label or category to belive you fit in somewhere in
society, then there isn’t much hope left. You may as
well just pop on some concrete flippers and take a
long swim now.  Seriously. What is the point at all if
you can’t just be yourself and feel the need to be
something, to dress, to act and to behave a certain
way just to feel part of anything? Come on! Its only
music. Why feel the need to be a certain way to
impress people who like the same music as you? Isn't
that what you'd be doing, afterall? Trying to fit in,
trying to impress people so you feel somehow part of a
movement? It doesn’t work. Unless you’re into the
Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think it works in that
case.

Is sinister twee? Bollocks it is. Quick cross-section
of sinister pos(t)ers:Ken Chu; Mark Casarotto;
Carsmile Steve; Matt Henderson; Laura Llew; Mrs Bapps
(nee fruitloop); Hobart Ian; Robin Stout... YOU.
Personally, I wouldn’t have the balls to ever approach
one of them and seriously accuse them of being twee.
So to do it to sinister as a whole isn’t exactly wise
either. I think its a pretty bloody ignorant statement
for anyone to suggest that sinister, as a whole, is
twee.

Paisley: why didn't you just privately mail casarotto
instead of getting all "ooh! you're nothing more than
a big bad bully boy!" all over my inbox? Why did I
need to see that? Was it somehow significant to my
life as well?  I think not. Maybe I'm alone in that
thought, maybe this alone is slightly hypocritical and
I should have just mailed you myself, but fuck it,
I've got more stuff to say in this post than just
getting all hyper-PC about the twee issue....

And so I continue....

I've just returned from a long weekend with the
boyfriend at his house. A nice weekend, involving
ridiculous amounts of booze, watching Teachers on DVD,
and coming home to find my brother had tidied my room
for me. Bonus.

Incidentally: while watching the box, I noticed B&S
were played as background music on Fame Academy
yesterday. Bet they are going to enjoy some ker-ching
as a result, in royalties. Boy with the Arab Strap if
you must know, and I was only watching cos my
boyfriend was watching it and I made him sit through a
Halley Mills film earlier in the day. That’s not twee
by the way – that’s doing it cos there was fuck all
else on telly.

Love,

Idles

(I'm relieved to see that a discussion of tweeness is
going on here - makes a change to those mid-atlantic
picnic posts, no offence to the posters of those, just
get it over and done with already, and enjoy your cake
and stop making me wish I was there. How do you have a
picnic in the middle of the sea, I wonder?)

=====