Sinister: Piazza, New York Catcher - Exclusive!!

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Wed Aug 27 15:37:48 BST 2003

I found this little review of the new Belle and Sebastian album, where it
mentions a few interesting things, notably the song "Piazza, New York
Catcher":

http://www.parasol.com/catalog/newcart.asp?zoomtitle=65663&RRETURN=words%3Dbelle%2Band%2Bsebastian%26Submit1%2Ex%3D10%26Submit1%2Ey%3D9

On the basis of this article I thought I'd "imagineer" and "makeupify" the
lyrics to Piazza, New York Catcher. I think it goes something like this:

::::::::::::::::::::::::

Piazza, New York Catcher
++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're the pitcher,
I'm the catcher,
You're John Major,
I'm Margaret Thatcher.
Why don't you come over to Number Ten?
We can watch Bergerac on the telly.

I'll never get over,
Our night in Kidderminster.
You're my Chancellor,
I'm your Prime Minister.
Why don't I come over to Number Eleven?
We can watch Columbo on the telly.

<<10-minute tuba and castanet solo>>

Forget about Norma,
I'll forget about Dennis.
But I'll never get over,
The size of your hampster.
Why don't we fly over to New York?
We can stay in and have a pi(a)zza.

<<Sound of schoolboys baiting badgers to fade..>>

I like this song a lot. It showcases the band's new thrash-metal sound. I'm
not sure about the tuba solo, though. I blame Trevor Horn.

On the radio yesterday evening (or "morning" as you call it in America - ha
ha! You crazy yanks!!) I heard B+S on the radio. They were ace.  Especially
ace were the full version of Scooby Driver and Lord Anthony. Unfortunately,
Lord Anthony still doesn't appear to have the verses about the naughty dog,
but it still sounds good. You know, I reckon Lord Anthony is at least seven
years old. He'll be in long trousers soon.

Robin x