Sinister: A twangy guitar

Amy Baggott daisychain.amz at xxx.net
Mon Dec 1 21:26:31 GMT 2003

Happy Advent everybody,
Gosh, all these posts about Sinister goings-on in Sheffield is enough to make a girl feel quite homesick. How very typical that the band wait until I leave my hometown before deigning to play there. I know of at least one Sinister lurker who will be there, Ruth, and I expect she will mail you off-list to organise some sort of meet-up, never fear.
Somewhat bizarrely, my parents and little sister are also going to see the band there, though, much as I love them, I don’t recommend you trying to arrange any sort of rendezvous with them. Does anyone else have parents who do this sort of thing, or am I really totally alone here? I think it’s great that my mum and dad appreciate the music I listen to, but find it sort of clunkingly wrong at the same time. Perhaps I’m just being ageist, but I find it hard to imagine my parents seeing the band in the same way that I do, or relating to their songs in the same way. Indeed, I really rather hope that they don’t relate to their songs in the same way as I do, otherwise I would have pretty emotionally screwed up parents. Anyway, enough of my ramblings.
My real purpose for writing this post was to ask if any sort of Sinister meet-up was planned for the Edinburgh show. I’ve not met any Sinisterines up here, despite having been resident for over two months now and wearing my little upside-down badge on a near permanent basis, but suspect that several of you must be planning on attending the gig. If anyone is interested in organising something, erm, that would be nice. I would volunteer to organise something myself, but am not really sufficiently with it at the moment to even aspire towards taking on such a responsibility. Very feeble, I know.
Am just listening to the Christmas Peel Session now. Stevie is truly GRATE when he sings “Nothing for Christmas”, especially the line about a twangy guitar. Mmm. I really hope they play the odd festive tune on the fourteenth. That would really make my Christmas complete. Well, short of Stuart turning up on my doorstep singing carols.
Anyway, have fun at the gig tomorrow and of course at the Offbeat after-show party, you lucky Sheffielders.
Love and Marks and Spencers deep-filled luxury mince pies,
Amy
Xxx

P.S. Chris- if one of the Sinisterines in Bangladesh you mention is Corduroy Boy Tom Pettinger, I think you’ll find he is actually in Calcutta (but just as likely to be at the gig in Sheffield, I guess.)