Sinister: wherever you go...

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Tue Dec 2 23:29:11 GMT 2003

Bapps story about telling some guy that Belle and
Sebastian are his favourite band sort of reminded me
of a similar scenario a few months ago.

I was on a training course to learn Good Words, and
the trainer decided to have an ice breaker session by
asking us our names and our desert island disc. Sure
enough, he went round the group, who were naming
Beatles albums and John Lennon albums, and all those
classic albums that seem to appear on regular classic
shows on VH1, or in the sales in HMV. Then he got to
me.
It was Tigermilk, by Belle and Sebastian.
"Aren't they quite old?" he asked, "From the 70's?".
"Er, not really"
"Ah right" he said, trying to reassert some
credibility of knowing what I was talking about.
"But they're quite heavy, aren't they?" he said. It
struck me as a fairly odd thing to say about a band
called Belle and Sebastian. I mean, sure, if they were
called something like "The Murdersome Pagans", or
"Suicidal Warriors" or something, then yeah, it'd be a
reasonable assumption, I guess, if you're going on a
name. But Belle? thats a girlie name. And Sebastian?
Have you ever known any hard nut called Sebastian?
They're named after a book, which was turned into a
cartoon for christs sakes.

Anyway, it made me giggle, and sort of wish he'd just
move on and ask someone else their name and favourite
album.

Sort of reminds me of a posh bloke I once knew, who
got nicknamed Alan, as in Alan Partridge, on account
of his voice and dress sense. He kept calling Eminem
"Eminie", which was vaguely amusing for a while.

Sometimes I find it best not to mention B&S to anyone
who comes across as being a bit straight laced.
Sometimes its best just to shut up and discuss Wife
Swap instead, or babies and marriage.

Having said that, I'm not very good at the indie
conversations either. I can't remember album titles or
record tracks, let alone obscure indie pop trivia.
Actually, I think the only thing I'm reasonably good
at discussing is myself.

Stuart "Big Stu" Gardiner said something about scoring
points for things you see in the new DVD. That would
possibly make an interesting drinking game. It might
also end up in alcoholism, a hang over from hell, loss
of friends from embarrassing acts, and serious liver
damage, but hey, you can't have it all.

love

idles

=====