Sinister: Why does God...need a Starship??

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Wed Dec 3 01:34:48 GMT 2003

Where have all the geeks gone?

The problem with the Glasgow (and possibly entire UK) hipster scene is the
lack of geeks.  It makes me feel a bit lonely sometimes.

Sure, there are the music geeks.  And the music geek subcategories:  lo-fi
geeks, 60's pop geeks, post-rock-we-hate-blur-because-mogwai-say-so geeks,
the northern soul geeks, etc...

But where are the proper geeks?  The nerds i grew up with and loved oh-so
dearly?  The hermetic masters of the world?  I've met one proper one that
will admit to it out here.  I won't name names, but he holds impressive
credentials.  And yes, there is the occasional Dr. Who fanatic
(kingofpartick).  In fact, Dr. Who seems to be the only main geek thing
celebrated out here.  I walk down the road every day and chuckle when I see
the large inflatable dalek in the window of someone's flat.  But surely we
can do better than that, as I am american and have little or no previous
knowledge of the phenomenon. (other than the fact that 100 tacos is adequate
sustinence for a Dr. Who marathon)

I think there are more out there than they want to admit.  Hiding away
somewhere, fearful of the indie hipsters and their belle and sebastian
quoting and smiths-soaked tears.  We must rise, brothers.  Raise up an army,
put on your Mandalorian armour, siege the country, and we will all shout
KABLAH in unison, crying to the heavens with joy.

Or not.  I suppose I should just face the facts.  The hipsters out here just
don't have time for it.  It's as though I left Caladan for Arrakis with a
fleet of battleships and batallions armed only with lasguns.  Out here,
indie knowledge is the desert power.

At least I'll always have the Century of Fakers video.  watch it and you'll
see what I mean.

I'm off to London on Thursday to catch some Belle gigs and maybe
Chickfactor.  Maybe I'll see you out there.  Before then, I have to write
this paper, so I suppose I should stop procrastinating and get on with it.

-Matt

P.S. If you caught the subject line's reference, give yourself a point.  Two
if you thought about that quote when you saw Matrix Revolutions.  Three if
you thought of that at Matrix Revolutions, along with Dune Messiah.