Sinister: of catastrophes and competitions

Hugo Johan <12813249 at xxx.za> Hugo Johan <12813249 at xxx.za>
Fri Dec 5 10:14:34 GMT 2003

dear all

it's been a long time... but let's leave it at that and not pretend it matters, right? thanks so much for the all the people who do keep this alive though: you still fill me with smiles everyday! it's a better world just knowing you're all out there.

but enough of that back patting - you should all know how wonderful you are, and if you don't... mmh, yes, well, i was going to make some rugged and bombastic noises about sorting it out for you, but there's not really much i can do about it, is there?'
but the year is on its back, CHRISTMAS presents are being made and sent (well, hopefully!) and it's time to reflect on many things. all-in-all, for me i guess its been a better year then the last, but globally it's been a bit miserable hsan't it? at least we got the new album and such... good god, what am i rattling on about, and WHY? i cold tell you about my own catastrophe with a waitress this week, but i'll rather make some comments on the album (for what it's worth)

1. some reviewers on the net complained about the sexism of SIMO,B - but they rather miss the point don't they? the fact that here it's the woman whose the boss and exploiting the lowly mail menial (in fact, exactly the reverse of the usual stereotyped scenario). what i find a lot more disturbing is the way the arrangement flourishes in the second verse of DCW. i'm not really sure it's altogether appropriate to have big joyful timpani's and soaring strings over a line saying "your face is bleeding"... but what do i know?

2. i really really miss sarah's violin. can't remember exactly which song now, but there's definitely one sax solo that i can't help thinking would have been a violin solo 4 years ago - and been much nicer.

3. i DO like the horn sections though, though i find them a little muted. generally the album lacks a bit of exuberance in the mix (i mean i think it's there in some of the songs, but the moments are mixed kind of low) - the one excpetion for me is IYFYCIL whihc is growing on me faster than anything there (granted that i loved AOAS, WUIB and LA straight off).

4. bobby definitely adds something on bass, doesn't he?

5. someone wrote about how songs from dwc sound like earlier songs - but does anyone else feel that the songs on storytelling seem almost like rehearsals for songs on dcw? ISWM sounds like a watered version of big john shaft, asleep on a sunbeam seems to resemble storytelling, black abnd white united seems to hint at (what i liked to see described on one of the set-lists as) ny pizza catcher.

anyway - that should be enough content to act as a sop for introducing the REAL topic, namely the <cringes as he anticipates howls of 'list-abuse'> FRIENDS OF THE HEROES PHOTO-DOODLING COMPETITION!
briefly, the friends are willing to contribute a goodie-bag to the person who can alter the given photo in the most inventive and amazing way. details (and the photo) can be obtained from the website at www.friendsoftheheros.co.uk (for those who are unfamiliar with it, and already muttering about list-abuse: the webzine was started as a result of sinister, and is staffed almost exclusively by sini-subbers, so please check it out!)

well, that's it from me, for now. glad to hear everyone's enjoying the concerts: i'm so jealous!

love

JohaN