Sinister: another gig, another planet

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 9 10:01:13 GMT 2003

Quick reporting back from Brighton last night.

This setlist is not in the correct order at all but all of the following
were definitely played at some point:

bit from Storytelling
Expectations
Step Into My Office Baby
Wrapped Up In Books
Seeing Other People
If She Wants Me
You Don't Send Me
Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying
Dog On Wheels
Jonathan David (I'd forgotten how much I like this song)

Another Girl, Another Planet [The Only Ones] (despite loud clamouring for
Hit Me Baby One More Time...)

Dirty Dream No 2
Sleep The Clock Around (rawk!)
Lord Anthony (lovely lovely)
Too Much Love
I'm a Cuckoo
Slow Graffiti (not great)
Roy Walker
Stay Loose (electro-tastic!)
Piazza New York Catcher
Asleep on a Sunbeam
The Boy With the Arab Strap

Contrary to what I was led to believe, the show was in the Dome Concert
Hall, rather than the smaller Pavilion Theatre. It was all a bit posh and
RAH-esque. Hilarious Brighton hipsters mingled sulkily with excitable 16
year olds in woolly scarves. I lost my cloakroom ticket five minutes after
arriving. We did not partake of any beverages, however Matt bought me some
new badges.

Didn't see any of Franz Ferdinand I'm afraid but they sounded pretty dull
through the various walls.

Stuart seemed really tired to start with, and only really loosened up
during the closing songs. (Cue terrible dancing and gay tambourine antics.)
Some amusing comments about 'it's Monday so we must be in Bournemouth...
Brighton I mean'. Lighting was great. Chris Geddes playing the xylophone is
possibly the sexiest sight ever. The band were much more comfortable
playing new songs than old ones; Stuart STILL forgets his words to
everything off Sinister. Swing Your Cock Around was a feast of rock action
and from the new album I'm a Cuckoo and Stay Loose were outstanding - I
think Stuart's voice just gets bettter and better and this album really
shows it off.

The audience were as subdued as the band at first, but got deafening when
it came to requests - a fan of Le Pastie de la Bourgoisie was particularly
vocal. Someone shouted at Stevie to 'get a move on' while he was preparing
for Another Girl Another Planet and was roundly ticked off by Stuart. By
the end there was mad dancing down the front which was good to see, and a
boy in front of me kindly provided silent drum accompaniment/conducting
duties the whole time.

I sat down all night because Matt has a bad back at the moment, but this
does not mean I am old and boring oh no. It *was* a schoolnight though...

Right, back to dull December and work. But see Londoners soon maybe
hopefully...

love Archel xxx