Sinister: b&s! sheffield! riot girls!

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Tue Dec 9 18:39:19 GMT 2003

jackson dancing to her jazz

two badly dressed people got up on stage and sang 'don't you want me baby?'
- murdoch said that sheffield is "[his] kinda town" apparently he went
running the previous evening and composed something in his head. they didn't
really know the words to 'don't you want me baby?' though it's worth noting
that TONITE the human league are playing at the city hall, which is also
where b&s played. perhaps they'll do a b&s song. there were seats in the
venue, but as soon as the band came on everyone in the whole place stood up
and stayed stood up and it went like this (setlist stolen from the bowlie
site, kerpow):

Passion Fruit

in which our boys go all dick dale and rock out and such

Expectations

in which our boys rock a lot harder than the album version and prompt me to
think 'when we had that list of stuff that had never been played before, was
this on it?' and so on, nobody has really addressed this issue, though the
song has been turning up on setlists all over the shop of late - am i
getting it confused with something else

Step into my office, baby

in which our boys play their recent chart hit, competently

Wrapped up in books

in which our boys play a surely future chart hit with gusto. i like this
song a lot, the lyrics are great, though quite why we're going to find
stuart murdoch out in the country is beyond me

Womens Realm

in which our hero thought this was 'there's too much love' until the lyric
about 'a torch and woman's realm' right at the end. afterwards murdoch sez
that one of the bits of it sounds a bit like a song which i didn't know, the
themetune to something from too long ago for me to remember. jackson and
murdoch have a brief onstage discussion about being old. do you think they
plan these in advance?

Waking up to us

in which murdoch frees himself from the shackles of the mike stand and does
that quaint, kind of constipated dance that he premiered (maybe) on jools
holland. our hero is reminded how good a song this is

Beautiful

in which our boys bust out one of their more melancholy numbers, complete
with low level lighting and a hushed audience

Travellin' light

in which jackson has something of a crisis of confidence before playing this
ok song ok - does he feel bad it wasn't on the record? does he feel inferior
to murdoch? is he aware of how crap the lightshow is? all this adds a touch
of melancholy to the proceedings - for what thought do we give to those who
surround genius? are not their pains equally worth our time? does the gasman
really love to drill?

Photo Jenny

in which we are reminded why we liked b&s in the first place

You Dont send me

in which we are prompted to wonder once more quite what 'you don't send me'
actually means - this song more than most makes our hero think that anyone
who has commented on b&s' more 'upbeat' new sound (and i think there have
been a few) are wrong though

Audience Participation - Dont you want me

in which a long time is spent arsing about for a quite rubbish cover version
of a great song. people who can't dance or sing and don't look very good
aren't pop stars for a reason you know (it's because they can't dance or
sing and don't look very good - i'll admit there are flaws with this) and in
which the annoying man standing next to me who has been talking to his mate
quite a lot actually decides he's enjoying himself and starts clapping right
next to my ear, our hero turns the other cheek

Dog on Wheels

in which we all contemplate just what 'anything goes' would constitute and
in which our hero imagines, if only for a second, a blow up dog on wheels

Dirty Dream #2

in which our boys continue with the innuendo-laden ditties and our hero
wishes they would do the fusion bit off the end of 'a spaceboy dream' as the
intro, but still enjoys it

Piazza New York Catcher

in which our boys are reduced to just two and murdoch sings about eloping
and running off and such - but with who stuart? and why?

Asleep on a sunbeam

in which our boys play things in the same order as they appear on the new
album - clever that huh? and in which martin's voice is actually amplified
so that you can hear it(!)

Like Dylan in the movies

in which our hero thinks if he has ever seen dylan in any movies, and
concludes that he hasn't and in which our boys remember the red coloured
album which isn't the soundtrack one

If you find yourself Caught in love

in which our boys rock the christian rock, sort of, and lay the diss on the
war in iraq, sort of

Roy Walker

in which murdoch asks the stage hand for 'an occasional table'

Stay Loose

in which a strange effect is added to murdoch's voice, which our hero
initially thinks will botch the song because he sounds too high, but
actually works really well once he gets used to it. and in which our boys
ROCK OUT - chu mentioned a city with in a city in nottingham which is called
THE ROCK CITY and if there was really a THE ROCK CITY it would probably
sound like this (i recently spent one of the worst weekends of my life in
nottingham, including a visit to THE ROCK CITY and it sounds nothing like
this, it sounds more like your mates sister's bedroom and looks a bit like
laser quest but without the guns)

Sleep The clock around

in which our boys triumphantly play their best song ever and don't even mess
up the words

ENCORE

Judy and the dream of horses

in which our boys plot their entire career trajectory in their one
emblematic song, starting off all faint and twee and with out of tune
recorders and band members learning their parts on stage just before the
start of the song and steadily build it all up to some sort of lush pop
FIASCO with probably gun noises and a big fuck off twee prog ending which
last about two hours

afterwards there was an offbeat after party which murdoch and jackson and
probably some of the backing musicians we don't care about were at and
jackson was dancing to huggy bear and he was wearing a spotty tie and i was
wearing a spotty tie and just for one second i glanced over at where he was
dancing and he looked so content and i thought "stevie, you're alright"