Sinister: requiem for the love i once felt.

Jonathan Skinner staralful at xxx.com
Wed Dec 10 23:39:54 GMT 2003

so my one night stand with the band was a week ago but i must say it was an
affair to remember. i really can't think of a gig that i have enjoyed as
much. well ok Yann Tiersen but that's a different story involving a
different genre a small venue and being surrounded by nice looking french
girls.
i honestly didn't know what to expect from them even though i had seen them
in '99 in dublin. i knew they had changed as a band but i really couldn't
believe how much they had changed. they seemed dare i say it....happy. they
were just enjoying the night ( wednesday at least) and the audience seemed
to really dig it too. the venue i hated purely because the girl wouldn't
take my £5 note even though i had just got it in a bar in Camden not 20
minutes earlier. ok perhaps i threw around the amount of F words with the
reckless abandon that only a tipsy irish man could but it meant that i had
to bum a tenner off my brother until we got out of the venue. damn expensive
beer , it worked out at well over 6 great european euro's for a can of the
stuff. plus my camera was taken away at the door even though it expressly
said on the back of the ticket that camera's were allowed for personal use.
Anyway despite the unpleasentness of the door staff and the staff in general
and the long line to get coats back it was a damn good gig and i am damn
glad i travelled to see it. i was slightly disappointed not to meet many
other sinisterines ( well i met one and held his jumper and book "the
enigma" if i remember rightly (not the jumper or the person)) and we got
chatting for a bit but that was pretty much it. the set list was great and
the only song missing was le pastie but i suppose i can't complain. the
support band were pretty good despite the lead (i want to say singer) word
artist sounding an awful lot like that skinner fella who "raps" with The
Streets. The music was great though , reminded me an awful lot of a dublin
band called the Jimmy Cake (although they don't have vocals).
i think the only real downside was Lazy Line Painter Jane (i really must
apologise in advance if you or anyone affiliated with you is on the
list....i really am sorry and absolve myself of any real hatred of your
person , just your voice and lack of knowledge of belle and sebastian and
your overwhelming amount of confidence for suprisingly litte talent) perhaps
the band should vet people 6-8 weeks in advance before "asking" them to sing
at the gig. i think she may be the reason that we got a two song encore. it
was nice to hear Sleep the clock around all jazzed up the way it was.
London didn't really didn't let me down , i loved it. i didn't expect too
and i was all for just getting the mid afternoon flight and going to gig
then going to the airport to get the early morning flight. damn good thing i
didn't. i enjoyed camden and i enjoyed walking back to liverpool street
station at 4 in the morning and the only people we saw were two polite
policemen who greeted us with a chipper "morning gentlemen" no searches for
drugs or suspected A+L+Q+A+E+D+A  despite our rather shabby appearence. i
counted 16 times the amount that we were asked " you want some hash?"(which
when looking at it was remarkably bad english considering we were where
english is spoken proper) i decided that i would be insulted if i WASN'T
asked cos then it would mean that i looked normal.
     oddest thing happened today. i saw a girl that all the way through
school i really liked and the kick in the balls was that she really liked me
as well. for various reasons we never got together. anyway i saw her on the
bus today as she is back in town from edinburgh on account of family
sickness and it was like we had never had anything between us and what was
even weirder i couldn't exactly remember what i liked about her. yes she is
still pretty cool and cute ( she has one of those groovy lip rings) but it
felt more like "ohh we must do lunch mwah mwah" and now we are both in this
entirely seperate existence when before we were in the same. it is rather
odd but what is even odder is that i don't feel a tinge of regret at this.
is this odd? i think it is.
anyway c'est la vie. bowling meet sounds great but unfortunatly there are
only two place in cork to bowl , "the collosium" and the Mardyke ( i notice
in some quiz thing about Ireland on one of the missprint sites that the
person was to find a street with Dyke in it and they were unsuccessful.
there is a whole area of cork called the Mardyke including two roads with
the name. they just didn't look hard enough.........
ICH HEISSE SUPERFANTASTICH
tanti baci
jonathan