Sinister: Sort of reporting back; or, How Belle and Seb Nearly Killed Me

Joanne Hill jlhill81 at xxx.com
Thu Dec 11 15:03:31 GMT 2003

So this bowling thing sounds cool. Apart from the fact that I go bowling
every week, so it's not so much of a novelty for me. But if I knew some
sinisterettes round my way I would certainly be up for showing them how it's
done. Ahem. I'm exceptionally happy, if it's true, to hear that bowling is
now in the Olympics; it was in the Commonwealth Games in 1998 cos it's the
national sport in Malaysia, go them. But then it got taken out again, boo to
Manchester 2002. We (Warwick Tenpin Team) were in lovely Nottingham last
month for the BUSA championships, my team mate got onto the national student
squad, she's ace. She's the 7th best girl student bowler in the UK. I came
16th. (Out of 51.) Must do better.

So yeah we were in Nottingham. Much twee-er than Coventry, though I wasn't
very twee that day, wearing my bowling kit. We are hoping to get American
style shirts soon, which will be nice. I liked Nottingham so much I went
back twice, to the lovely Selectadisc and Fopp. Then last week I ventured
even further north to my town of birth, Sheffield, for a special gig. But
you've heard all about that off other people. I drove there, drank some coke
while the others had beer, and then danced, stood in front of my seat, all
thru the gig. Isn't Bobby the cutest!

At Offbeat's after show party Stuart nearly bumped into me as he went
charging past, but I managed to jump out the way. Stupid me. Could've ended
up in a heap on the floor with him. Damn.

But he signed my ticket anyway, and tried to talk to me, which is more than
I can say for Stevie - I tried to talk to him and he wasn't interested.
Hmph. Then I stood around encouraging a Bowlie friend to go talk to him abot
the Rolling Stones, he wouldn't get up the courage. But he did in the end.

On the drive back it was really foggy. I had hoped to get home in an hour
(it took two hours going) cos at 2-3am there's no traffic, but not being
able to see 20 metres ahead is quite a hindrance to going 80 miles an hour.
So I slowed down, and passed lorry after lorry, and some crazy guy who kept
over taking me and then slowing down, and swerving around in his lane, I
don't know what his problem was, bloody road rage in the middle of the
night! We had exhausted my tapes so one of the guys put in a tape of
acoustic songs, really lovely versions of Delgados songs, and some Bright
Eyes and stuff like that. Fantastic. Driving along the empty M1, feeling a
bit tired but nervous of the weather conditions, all foggy AND raining,
wondering when the hell we'd reach the M69 junction, the three lads all
asleep, I passed a sign for Alton Towers...now I thought we'd already passed
that...maybe, in this terrible weather, we've already died, I thought, and
are destined to travel this dark road forever; but if we get to listen to
amazing music like this all the way, that'd be fine.

Then the fog cleared, I realised Alton Towers is much further south than I
had thought, and later the sign for Coventry popped up, and we were ok.
Still alive.

A friend of mine went to the Norwich gig and he was wearing the same t shirt
as Stuart, apparently the white Fred Perry shirt he always wears. But when I
asked this friend if he bought the shirt *because* Stuart has it, he didn't
reply. I'm not sure if he reads Sinister or not, so he may come and defend
himself, but in the meantime I shall speculate.

love,
Joanne