Sinister: Don't let the bell end Sebastian

James Thorniley james at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 21 12:07:59 GMT 2003

Sinsietre,

I went to see Belle and Sebastian in Sheffield not so long ago. They were
entertaining, particularly when they got some of the locals to come on and
sing "Don't you want me baby". They had a boy and a girl up, the latter
looked terrified that the former was trying to "get it on" with her, and hid
with Sarah Martin. The boy did seem to enjoy himself and happy monday danced
as he belted out the lyrics, but the girl didn't know her words and couldn't
sing anyway. The whole thing was giggles all round.

Not nearly as fun as the ginormous train we saw on the way back of course. Or
the reaction of a certain individual to that, "the longest train in the
world". It went as far as you could see in both directions. It was night time
and foggy but honestly, it was still a big train.

To answer a question, there is a Christmas compilation album called "Its a
Cool Cool Christmas", which has Belle and Sebastian on it among many others.
Its on the Jeepster label. I was playing songs from this album in a bar when
a sizeable man fell through the window and onto a member of this
establishment. The man seemed slightly contemptuous of the fact that he had
just destroyed a window and only by a miracle failed to injure himself or the
person he fell onto. Shortly afterwards he came up to me and requested that I
play Frosty the Snowman.

"Ok," said I, "I'll play it after the next one since I've already got it cued
up."

"Yeah, sure," said he, "Only can you play it quick because I can't stay for
long - I fell through a window you see."

As Laura Llew would say:

Have a merry Christmas y'all,

James