Sinister: *READ THIS BEFORE YESTERDAY'S BANGLADESH POSTS*

Amy Skelton borokitty at xxx.com
Sat Dec 20 12:53:16 GMT 2003

Hello again Sinister,

For some reason my first post to the list as a returnee has gone into a
black hole. I tried to send something similar this morning but that doesn't
seem to have worked either. Anyway, let's hope for third time lucky.

This was supposed to be my re-introduction post so that you weren't thrown
head first into my Bangladesh updates. It was supposed to ease you in gently
just like top quality vaseline.  I'm now getting on the internet enough to
keep up with Sinister goings on without my inbox overloading and let's face
it I missed being here...

Anyway, for those of you who are new/forgot I'm volunteering in Bangladesh
for a year on VSO's Youth for Development scheme (see the archives). I
wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences from Bangladesh with you
all - hope you don't mind! To those of you that I've been emailing
independently you will already know the juice from the missives I've posted
to sinister (and then some) so make like skippy the kangaroo by all means.
Any sinisterites that want to email me off-list with any
comments/questions/gossip or whatever are heartily encouraged.

It's good to be back in the fold. I've really been enjoying your tales of
gigs and your views on the new releases. My flatmate brought a copy of the
new album back from England recently so I've only listened to it a few times
when she's had it on in the living room (yes, Mark I now understand your
email subjects). When someone gets a new toy you have to wait a while before
you can ask nicely to borrow it. I'm one of these people that likes to
retreat to my own space when I want to listen to something properly for the
first time. She keeps dropping not so subtle hints that another copy  might
wing my way next week. That way I can form a decision properly - but I liked
what I heard and I think it may be a grower.

I'm not getting exposed to much new music here so when I get back to the UK
I fear that I'm going to be stood in the middle of an indie disco wondering
what the hell is going on. Half an hour of John Peel on BBC world service is
good but not enough. I never get a connection decent enough to listen to
live digital radio but I can listen to recorded ones so long as I don't do
anything else on the computer. Some lovely UK people have been making me mix
CDs to listen to - it cheers me up to get these in the post (thank you again
to those Sinisterites that have done this). I went minimilistic when I flew
out here, just bringing one CD - a compilation with the Flaming Lips,
Violent Femmes - won in a competition. I'm gradually listening to more
Bangladeshi music and should be making some mixtapes/CDs of tunes from this
neck of the woods eventually.

It's my first time away from home for Christmas and I'm holding it together
well so far by getting in the festive spirit.

Take care peeps...

...Amy