Sinister: ink polaroids

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 3 14:48:14 GMT 2003

*****
This one's a bit blurry because of the high winds.  Matt and I are in
it, and our friends B and E.  Matt and I are clutching each other and
laughing because B apparently has his head inserted between E's breasts,
though in fact he's just using the shelter of her coat to light his
cigarette.  She is wearing some fantastic mittens.  B has a hat with
ears.  We're all on the top of a hill on the very muddy, claggy footpath
to Lewes; in the background are the Downs and a few tiny farms dotted
around.  I have mud all over my shoes and up my legs, and my hair is
blowing across my face in the wind. You can see a few birds outlined
against the sky.

*****
This is in the Lewes Arms.  We all have pints of Harveys bitter in front
of us, and we are all smiling and a bit red in the face.  Behind us on
the walls of the pub are old photos of Lewes Bonfire Night celebrations;
mostly they're of stiff-backed moustached men in viking costumes.  There
is some ancient horse tack on the wall as well, and part of it seems to
be made of Burberry tartan which is odd.

*****
This one is later that night.  It's my front room, with me and Matt in
it.  We are sitting on the floor eating our dinner off the coffee table,
and we both have rapt expressions on our faces.  On our plates is
home-made spinach and potato curry.  I am wearing my pyjamas.  The red
curtains are pulled closed, and we are lit by the reading lamp next to
the rocking chair.  You can see our winter cherry tree on the dining
table behind us; the two orange fruits are a bit shrivelled now but
still bright.

Love Archel