Sinister: I like it, not a lot, but I like it

Lucy Brown lucyebrown at xxx.com
Mon Feb 3 10:12:07 GMT 2003

Hello Sinister!

-Introduction-

We've been snowed in today, so no school - yay!  In English class we get
told to balance our paragraphs in terms of length, thus I had to add this
wee bit at the beginning to make it look better. I tried to post last week,
but I think my email must have ended up in a Sinsinati newspaper's inbox
instead. N.B. I don't usually post because I hate saying "I". There, I can
start now.

-Big fat stinking clichés-

Last week at school we had a seminar on the theme of change. The very
utterence of the word "seminar" had us all wretching in a kind of
pre-emptive boredom-induced hysteria. Or something. Anyway, we had to sit
there and listen to this man (he looked suspiciously like Paul Daniels - I
was surprised that my friends didn't see the resemblance until I realised I
had been saying "Look! Look! It's Phil Collins!" Never been good with
names.) tell us how fate is a load of crap and that we should get off our
arses and make things happen. We were made to write letters to ourselves.
Apparently said letters will be posted to us in a few months' time to make
us realise that we haven't "Become more optimistic!" and don't "Have a more
positive outlook!" and therefore are worthless individuals. I was just upset
because I wasn't the only person to have been wonderfully witty by writing
"SWALK" on the front of my envelope.

-Rock me, Amadeus-

I've recently discovered the joy of mp3s and minidiscs and stuff. I'm
listening to a wider range of music now, which is always a good thing - I
can download stuff I wouldn't be seen dead buying ("Good sir, fetch me one
"Steps: the Best Of" please!"*). However, I do not endorse illegal
downloading, honest. So, watch out, kids.**

-No war, please-

I was in Dumfries on Saturday, and managed to walk through the middle of an
anti-war protest without realising at first. I stood with them for a while,
but there was only about fifteen people, and no-one was holding up their
banners or saying anything. Actually, maybe they were just queuing for chips
and a bit pissed off that people kept coming and offering support.

-Content-

I had a dream about Stuart M (honestly, I'm not making it up to make this
seem appropriate) last week. He was on a regional news programme on channel
3 (if anyone gets "Border" tv, you know the kind of thing they show ("Your
Wheelie Bin and You")) telling people to check their bonfires for hedgehogs
before they set them alight. He's so sweet.

-Mini ink polaroid-

I'm sitting at the computer wearing a pink bobble hat and blue boots. I've
made some cocoa. I'm writing a post when my friend phones to arrange a
sledging time. We choose lunchtime. I get the atlas to see if Sinsinati is
really a place, and if so how it's spelt. I'm still undecided. I try not to
dwell on it.

-Leslie Ash-

That's what happens when you eat too many Jaffa Cakes and the orange goo
gets stuck in yer teeth!

-And finally-

The sun's just come out. All the snow from our roof is falling onto the pot
plants of the wifie that lives below us. I think I'll go and clear it
later.***

I'm off to dig out my sledge.

Keep warm (or cool; whichever is appropriate to your hemisphere) and be
sweet,

Lucy xxx

*Disclaimer - it is a good five years since I was, in any way, involved with
everyone's favourite Redcoats.
**I heard someone say "watch out, kids" last week. It was quite creepy,
actually.
***The old woman's actually kinda crazy, and almost killed some of our cats
"by accident" ("Woopsee, didn't mean to leave that pot of boiling oil
teetering above the cat flap like that!") on a few occasions.