Sinister: pick the moment, point and shoot

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Feb 3 21:01:24 GMT 2003

< < s h u t t e r   o p e n s > >

The photograph was taken indoors, in the foyer of a busy cinema. See those
staircases? they're escalators. You can tell because the people on the
leftmost one are just standing there, inside long coats, looking up towards
the first floor and not trying to walk anywhere. The rightmost one is almost
empty, but that's because it's heading down. I bet you don't believe me,
because the only couple who are on it are heading up just like the rest.
Well, I can see you've never considered breaking any of the rules of
escalator safety. These two are breaking them all. They're running up the
down escalator without even thinking of keeping away from the edges. The boy
on the left even has his shoelaces undone. But it is the girl who has caught
her toes on the top step, which will soon become second from top, then
third, then fourth. She looks worried, but he hasn't noticed yet. I hope he
notices, and he manages to catch her in time.

< < s h u t t e r   c l o s e s > >