Sinister: reporters

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Fri Feb 7 21:36:52 GMT 2003

Big Stu appeared and seemed to know who won the reporter competition. Jeez
they work fast at the B&S HQ, don't they? First, reporters wanted. Five
minutes later they are overwhelmed and NOW they've all ready decided? Well,
there is someone out there in particular that I hope won a place, so here's
fingers crossed. I want to know who won!
It seems like an awfully exciting position to have. I didn't even bother to
apply because I thought it was only useful if you were already in Scotland,
but if they're flying in people from all over I shall be kicking myself.
Isn't that how it used to be in the old days...travel around with the band,
hang out with them at the hotels and catch a glimpse of all that sordid life
that will result in myth making and rumours our grandchildren will whisper
about!
They've put up some of the entries on the site
(http://www.belleandsebastian.co.uk/home/) including a very funny one from
Sister Disco.

There's been a fascinating interview with Phil Spector running in the paper
all week that he gave shortly before all his current troubles I guess.
Apparently, he has a wristwatch that speaks the time, with "It's 4 o'clock!"
going off and such. Anyways, there was such a lovely bit in the interview,
it sounded like something you could make a hundred ink polaroids out of:
"...mythic teen fables of desire and need and pain, the ecstasy of a
goodnight kiss, the agony of being much too young to be married; innocent
and knowing, neon-bright and dungeon-dark all at the same time; delirious,
feverish - mad"

So congratulations to whoever won, don't forget to Report Back to us as your
new career takes off!

xoxo Genevieve

p.s.
I liked Ian's Sordid Linlithgow Nightlife Ink Polaroid because it reminded
me of the summer and too much time spent there waiting for the bus. My
polaroids there aren't ALL sordid though. When I went into town with two
little girls, each holding my hand, them wearing their flowered dresses and
sun hats and smelling of sun lotion, everyone smiled at us and the bus
driver would let us on for free. I think this young guy who worked at the
shop thought I was a bad nanny though...I'd buy the girls ice cream at 11 in
the morning. I remember all the swans around the loch, and sometimes a dog
would bark at them and the Papa Swan would turn around and get all nasty by
fattening his neck and shaking his tail (? not sure what it's called!). I
remember a young girl (around 10) in a belly top scrutinizing me as I waited
for the bus.
"How old are YOU?"
"Nineteen."
"Hmm! You don't LOOK nineteen." And then she tried to get cigarettes from
everyone.