Sinister: the mulberry bush

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Tue Feb 11 16:57:25 GMT 2003

We come down from a walkway, turn a corner, climb a
slope, among the walls of desolate grey, under the sky
of desolate white stained with black (call it...
grey), to achieve the vantage and vista of the broken
heart of things. On our right, the Primark where it
seems he used to work, maybe when it was called
something else. (All is memory; some of it seems to
have gone unactivated a while.) Ahead, an elevated
clock ticking the town's time. Right here, sight's
first challenge: a warping moulded erection of
granite, marble, charcoal, whatever. He tells me it's
called 'Joyride'. It turns out to be an image of
mother and child, nothing to do with naughty drivers.

I take a couple of pictures. There are plenty more
where this came from.

For instance: a few hundred yards later, an inhabited,
stained block of concrete that seems to be getting
ill. The health centre. A little way up this street
parade, a half-fabled place. The Library. Its name's
white letters descend the brick wall. I need to frame
this to get them all in: and him, standing outside,
looking away, not quite like he's just come here from
the dole office and is about to depart with a battered
random acquisition, a Frank Kermode nobody else wanted
this week, or this year.

There's another where that came from. It's not as
good. I didn't quite get all the letters in.

The rest of them are even more interesting than this.