Sinister: cricket! and school

kevin m. clair clairk at xxx.edu
Thu Feb 13 07:22:43 GMT 2003

Hey Sinister.  I thought I'd write more.  I like getting and reading
everyone else's so much I thought I'd contribute a little myself.

I've been following the cricket world cup, even though I'm from Illinois
where everyone is too busy following the Cubs to care about cricket too
much.  I played it once last fall.  There are some pretty good cricket
players at my school; we get quite a few students from India and they've a
lot of them played before.  Anyway, I was pretty happy that Canada won
their first game.  I'm not really pulling for anyone in particular (south
africa) but I guess I'm partial to the Canadians, since nobody expected
them to win anything and Minnesota is really South Canada at heart.  It's
still hockey country, though.

The music department here got a new professor who specializes in studying
popular music, and so next term there's going to be a class completely
dedicated to it.  He taught a class called "Music of the 1960s" this term
where John Cage and the Beatles and such like were all over the syllabus; I
expect much of the same from this class only more hardcore, since it's
apparently a "research seminar" and he uses words like "semiotics" in the
course description, and I don't even know what that is.  But I like music!
So it seems like a good trade-off.  Also, there's going to be a music
interest house next year, or at least some folks are planning it.  I like
how Carleton is suddenly Indie Rock University now.

So I have been listening to the college radio station, and not just having
a show on it.  It's gotten me really excited about new music from Cat Power
and the notwist, and I'll have to buy new records all over the place when
they come out finally.  I really wish someone had told me about Cat Power
sooner, although I suppose if I listened to more college radio they would.

I guess that's all I have to say.  I wish we'd get more snow, but the word
is it's supposed to be warm next week, which I guess isn't too bad.

Incense and peppermints,
Kevin