Sinister: new puritanism

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Sun Feb 16 00:29:12 GMT 2003

INK POLAROID

This is my friend and I standing in Sheffield Station – I’m the shorter one,
wearing jeans and a yellow t-shirt – he’s much taller, also wearing jeans
and a black hole hooded top (as in Courtney Love’s old band, not the things
in space), I can’t stand hole, incidentally, he knows this but we don’t talk
about it much, I’ve often wondered, and I’m sure he has too, quite how we’re
able to tolerate each other’s wildly different musical tastes (actually
they’re not all that different in the grand scheme of things, but in the
rarefied world of indie they’re miles apart). We both look a bit bored and
annoyed I suppose, this is partly because we’ve been waiting for people to
arrive for ages – they’re very late, we were told on the phone that they’d
be here in twenty minutes time, but that was over an hour ago, and while I
think we both appreciate that British Rail minutes are just that little bit
longer than regular ones, we didn’t expect it to take quite this long at
all. We aren’t speaking much, having pretty much exhausted topics of
conversation – we’ve been together nearly all day and by now we just want
our friends to arrive and bring new things to talk about, and so that we can
leave too. Rush hour is just taking hold, you can’t see outside because the
camera is facing the wrong way, but if you could then you’d notice that the
roads are full of rushing headlights tearing up the rain-slick roads - but
all around us hundreds of people are flowing back and forwards, getting on
trains and getting off trains – all sorts of people, schoolchildren,
business people, families, alone, in groups, in couples – I always think
it’s fascinating to see people just going about their business like this,
hearing tiny snippets of their conversations, little fragmentary windows
into their lives. I like the ones that look purposeful best I think, perhaps
because they have that real dynamism that I sort of lack – complete
conviction – of course they probably don’t and I’m just projecting, but it’s
nice to think that maybe somebody does. Anyway I also look a bit annoyed, or
perhaps a bit puzzled is more accurate because I’ve just turned to my friend
and told him that I could spend hours in stations just watching people,
because it’s really interesting just seeing them to-ing and fro-ing,
basically what I just told you up there and he replied “I don’t know, they
all seem pretty boring.” Just like that. And so I’m standing there next to
him thinking that maybe we don’t have so much in common after all.

I realise that is somewhat after the fact, more than a week late even, but
my dog ate the first copy, then the computer crashed and then I had a dental
appointment Miss. Honest.

An update on my last post now, as promised. After mulling things over for a
wee while I’m afraid I opted for the cowardly option and said nothing. I
even ran home for the whole of last week, but now that I’m back things seem
to have calmed down a bit, so I suppose it’s ok. My apologies if you were
gunning for me grassing him up, and I know a couple of people sort of were,
but to be honest I don’t think, even if he would’ve been chucked out it
would’ve made all that much difference, they all seem to be about as bad as
each other and the small respite that would have afforded as they reeled
from his departure would, I fear, have been short lived and would not have
merited the hassle and guilt that telling on him would inevitably have
brought on. Or that’s how I’m justifying it to myself anyway, the rest of
you are entirely free to make up your own minds.

In better news, whilst at home for the week I managed to catch The Delgados
live who were pleasant in a straightforward, workmanlike fashion – I don’t
think gigs like that are going to win them any new fans, but if you like the
songs, and fortunately for the most part I do, then you probably wont be
disappointed. It’s a bit disheartening, though, to hear bands play like
that, renditions which are as close to the records as possible, it must get
very boring playing like that, and it’d be nice to hear a bit of
improvisation (not in the serious, eyes shut jazzer way, though that’d be
nice in itself, but more in the loosening up and having fun way). Which is
sort of what Pram, the other band that I saw that week did and, ok, Pram
aren’t nearly as lush as The Delgados, in fact some of their records are
pretty out of tune (but far better for it, I think) and they’ve been known
to put in some fairly shambolic live performances in the past, but I think
they’ve gotten the balance of pretty and fragile about right now, and the
new material sounded excellent too. I dunno if they’re touring properly, I
think they did another date in London, but if they are and you get the
chance, then I’d heartily recommend seeing them. The support acts were
fantastic too, though one veered towards that dangerous musical philosophy
that says that putting a breakbeat over anything is automatically funny, not
the best territory to be on really, though he operated it pretty well – the
other on the other hand brought to mind Muslimgauze, if he’d been concerned
with the fate of people living in long defunct seaside towns rather than the
Middle East. Brilliant.

I do have more things to say, but I’ll leave them for another time, I should
really get to bed now.

Love,
- Kieran