Sinister: the clock turns and it's now

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 17 09:52:32 GMT 2003

I'm not sure that I've ever wished myself in Perth before, but I would
have loved to see the Go-Betweens at the weekend.  If any band can take
a mind off impending war then it might be the Go-Betweens. Like Belle &
Sebastian, it's music that can stir hearts and soothe souls.

On Friday I walked home listening to B&S.  The sun was shining, I was
going to make risotto.  The small pleasures seem so important these
days.  The sound of that sweet voice going 'laa lalala lalala
lalalaalala' was enough to make me cry.

I feel entirely entitled to mention this unwanted, terrifying war,
incidentally - did anyone complain about 'list abuse' on Spetember 11th
2001?  No.  There are some things which - even here - are more important
than B&S, for one day at least. 1.5 million people marched through
London, along with many thousands more across the world, in the name of
peace - why the hell should that go unmentioned?  It's not just
politics, it's our lives.

Celebrating Valentine's Day felt slightly self-indulgent, considering.
So the best tune for the day seemed to be Doris singing 'Did you give
the world some love today baby'...

I'm reading Hidden Agendas by John Pilger at the moment, a book to make
you sad, angry, shocked at how little of the truth about the world we
really get from our 'free' media.  Read it.

And, ok, I still fret about putting on weight and having no money, I
still hanker after nice shoes and Belgian buns.  I'm not scared that I
won't see tomorrow.  I feel happy and lucky most of the time and can,
rightly or wrongly, forget.

So I'm still remaking websites and still writing poetry and wanting
other people to write too (see below).  AND I'm still having a picnic in
Brighton on Saturday 1st March, and you're still all invited to get
pissed and eat fish and chips and paddle in the sea and inspect the
collapsed remains of the West Pier.  Please come!

'Love goes on anyway.'

Archel xxx

Visit www.buzzwords.ndo.co.uk for the best new writing on the web.
Email submissions at buzzwords.ndo.co.uk