Sinister: Mails discussing the list on the list

Linda Kerr lulou at xxx.org
Mon Feb 17 21:56:04 GMT 2003

Hi everyone

Hmm. Not sure how to approach this one, except to say that messages to
sinister which discuss what can and cannot be discussed on sinister are
generally a bad idea, and can and do lead to list implosion. Whoosh.

There are 1349 people on this list, and therefore some tolerance is
required if the posts are not to your current taste.
If you think that the list is being abused, the please mail me,
and not the list. I can look into it (I try to read all the posts
but sometimes don't) and deal with it then. It is really up to Honey
ultimately to manage the list - it has to be - but we try to have
a list which most people want and care about, and where people feel
safe to post without feeling intimidated.

Discussion of non-B&S related topics happens. God knows it happens. :) The
list has always been about B&S, the fans and their lives. If you haven't
looked at this part of the FAQ, please do, if you can..
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/faq.html#rules

Excerpt:

"Try and remember this: it's a list for Belle and Sebastian but more
importantly about the lives of People Who Listen To Belle And
Sebastian...The list goes right when it's lively, funny, interesting,
touching, and sometimes even useful. The list goes wrong when people
post irrelevancies, not-so-funny "clever" quips, or long discussions
take place which would be more suited to another list (like discussions
of the relative merits of a band unrelated to B&S).

I may step in if we get a long long conversation about something
interesting to only a tiny minority of the list(.)"

As it was pointed out by Lucy, the situation in Iraq is something
Stuart Murdoch has written about on his web site,
and it is such a huge international issue I think it
would be daft if we did not to talk about it, particularly as it affects
our lives.

Of course, as with everything, personal flaming is not allowed on the list
and as long as discussions do not change the nature of the list, the posts
which are funny, or intelligent, or thought-provoking are to be greatly
welcomed.

As I said, if you think things are getting out of hand in whatever way,
let me know.  The FAQ is there for guidance.

Peace and all that.

Linda
xxx