Sinister: when i woke up this morning, you were on my mind

Christine Irene competitionsmile at xxx.com
Tue Feb 18 18:13:43 GMT 2003

So yesterday, whilst at Panera, I saw a gentleman who
looked exactly like our very own Ken Chu!  Imagine my
surprise.  To make things better, a very cute boy held
the door open for me.  It always strikes me when
someone opens a door for me, as it seldom happens.  I
think it is customary for americans to just let the
door close behind them with little regard for who may
be behind them.  Not me.  I always open doors for
people, help the elderly with their supermarket
parcels, that sort of thing.  I know that I really
like it when someone does something nice for me, so I
try to go by that whole golden rule thing.

A relatively uneventful weekend.  I slept until 2 pm
on Sunday....I have NEVER slept that late.  Granted, I
went to bed round  5 am....I am still usually up by
830 am at the latest.  I watched some movies, spent
lots o' time on the phone.  Like I said, nothing too
eventful.

Gavin Friday went to the Dublin premier of "Frida"
with Andrea Corr.  Grr. I am much cooler than Andrea
Corr, he should have invited me.  I guess I'll have to
settle for listening to my newly obtained copy of
"Shag Tobacco"...a bloody amazing album by the way.  I
highly recommend it to all of you.

As for my stance on the "SINISTER WAR POSTS"  I really
don't mind them.  Personally, I have mixed feelings on
the whole thing.  I shan't delve too deeply into
politics as I know many of you dislike that, I do
think that a US war with Iraq has been coming for
ages.  People can blame Bush if it makes them feel
better, however this war was imminent.  The fact that
it didn't begin ages ago shocks me.  I wouldn't say
that I am pro-war by any means.  However, what do you
do with someone like Hussein?  Someone who has no
regard for the lives of his citizens, the rules and
guidelines set by the UN, all of that stuff?  I don't
know.  I really don't see any point in wars of any
kind.  It does seem to  be the only language that many
understand.  Unfortunately those are the people who
rule the world.

Enough of that.  Ya know what I have been thinking
about a lot lately?  How absolutely inadequate the US
educational system is.  I got an email from DV the
other day and he was telling me about Bloody Friday.
Until he said this, I had no idea of it.  I seem to
recall coming across it in a book, but a book I was
reading for pleasure.  I was in honours courses in
school and we never ever learned about the
English/Irish conflicts.  We never learned anything
about the kings and queens of england, back in the day
when they did more than throw big ol'concerts.  We
never studied the Byzantine empire...or the Roman
empire really. What a let down.  Very often I find
myself reading things I feel I should have learned in
school.  I also was fortunate in that, the school I
went to had a lot of money.  It is in an affluent area
with lots of tax money as well as grants from the
state and federal gov't.  I can only imagine the
education recieved by those in  less fortunate
schools.  insane.

This morning the eldest of my charges had to be picked
up from school.  She is having a gluntenous reaction
it seems so we are having a TV day.  Nothing too
strenuaous.  I made some very yummy smoothies and now
am going to watch "Snoopy Come Home."

"Men marry out of boredom.  Women marry out of
curiosity. They both end up disappointed."  Oscar
Wilde

~stine