Sinister: Groove Analyser

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Tue Feb 18 21:32:58 GMT 2003

Hallo :)

(i'm making a mixtape, so please bear with the interruptions)

I won't mention the w a r because I am scared of arguments. I do think,
though, that the relevance of those seven dancing dwarves Belle and
Sebastian to their Sinister mailing list has always been more of a thematic
one than one measurable in "content".

In fact, I was reading Stuart's Diary today, and he was talking about
something else, but I think he sums it up nicely:

<< I was into Orange Juice and had a passion for them that went beyond
simply liking the music. Something about the 'idea' of them. >>

The idea. That's the thing.

(hold on, i'll just change the cd. pause. eject. that's right)

As an example of tangential content, I was going to write a post without any
reference to the band at all but it seems I can't help myself. I have to say
how much I'm enjoying reading Stuart's Diary. I think that if Stuart was to
make an appearance on Sinister wrapped up in disguise like an old washer
woman and wrote something about his Youth Club or scrabble and we were none
the wiser as to who he was, what he'd be writing is the sort of stuff i'd
want to read. I think that, ignoring who he is or why he's famous, the
diary's pretty good reading. This is brilliant:

<< When I'm about to die I'm going to go to a swamp so that I will topple in
when the time comes. In 50000 years when they dig me up, pretty well
preserved, the scientists will have to work out what sort of life I lead
from my bone structure and teeth, and what not. Maybe I'll be clutching a
Felt record or something to give them a clue. Well, they'll look at my foot
and say 'This man broke a bone and it's healed funny.' And they'll look at
the Felt record, analysing the grooves with a Groove Analyser and they'll
say 'He was obviously in an indie band and one day the pressure got too
much, and he booted a wall.' And they wouldn't be far from the truth, those
crazy scientists. >>

Thanks to our own Stuart too, for some excellent reporting back. I look
forward to the next installment. I once interviewed a friend of mine in a
bath while I played a piano in my smoking jacket. I played "Paint Your
Wagon". It was for a school project and we were almost expelled for "not
taking it seriously". I also ran about in my pants. Nothin' wrong with that.

(click. clunk. mmm, My Lighthouse. fantastic!)

I spent the weekend in Kidderminster - Twinned with Husum. No giraffes had
escaped from the zoo this weekend but there was still fun to be had. I saw a
smattering of snowdrops on the peak of the roundabout, I saw the ribs of the
old carpet factories as they were picked apart by cranes, and I wondered
about the statue of the Reverend Richard Baxter which looks greyly over his
flock. The town's most overlooked hero, licked into second place by Sir
Rowland Hill inventor of the postage stamp, Baxter was a nonconformist with
ambitions to poke a stick in the eye of the King of England and unite the
churches behind the Lord's Prayer, the Gospel, a love of sherry and a good
knees up. Now he's just a statue at the side of a roundabout, overlooked by
the Biggest Sainsburys in the Midlands. I still think of you, Reverend.

You may remember last time I was in a bookshop in Kidderminster I saw a
whole shelf of "Kidderminster - A History" positioned in the Horror section.
Well, on Saturday in the same bookshop I saw a book called "The Strangest
Pubs in Britain!" which features such wonders as a pub with a tree in it and
a pub which is home to The Oldest Bee in the World! HOW STRANGE!!!!!! Even
better than the Unnatural Tree and Ungodly Bee, however, was the poster
advertising it which was packed full of "celebrity endorsements", such as:

"It sounds fun" - Patrick Moore

and

"Best wishes for the success of your book" - Prince William

Wow! I think they have a bestseller on their hands!!

(la la la la! they've never seen your sentimental siiide!)

Enough of this. Great to see some old faces showing up again. I'm a little
worried about Eric and the tear gas, though. Hope he's okay.

r o b i n x x x

ps: Chris Field, sorry for being so slow to reply. It takes a while
sometimes to get the old bean in gear. I will write to you soon about a
Kidderminster Picnic OH MY GOD CAN IT BE?!!?

[ by express delivery : http://www.superatomic.co.uk/blog ]