Sinister: I'm a drifter, I'm a lover, I'm a drifter, I'm a lover......

Mark Hester mark.hester at xxx.com
Mon Jan 13 23:52:55 GMT 2003

An exchange, just heard, outside in my street:

Cyclist #1: "That guy had really cute eyebrows"

Cyclist #2: "Pardon???"

Like the second cyclist, I have some difficulty in believing that one can have
really cute eyebrows.  Mind you, until this afternoon I would have had
difficulty believing it was possible to buy an Intastella compilation.  I found
one in hmv tho, and a 2 cd comp to boot!  Intastella sound like a very unlucky
band, judging by the blurb from Mojo's Lois Wilson, but listening to the first
cd, the more misfortune they suffered, the better the music got.  "Drifter" was
absolutely superb, it was sheer pleasure to be reacquainted with it...it's just
a pity it was overshadowed on the same EP by "Can You Fly Like You Mean It
(Gungadin)" with vocals by that Shaun Ryder.  Dunno 'bout you, but I never rated
him at all post-Mondays.  I never liked Black Grape for example.  Stella Grundy.
 Overshadowed by a Monday.  Fortunately only one one track.

Where's Stella Grundy Now?  According to Lois, she has released a solo single
called "Now and then I get high".  Well don't we all.

I've prolly left it too late to say Happy New Year, or even Happy Epiphany, but
it's here that my landlord's Slovakian calendar helps us out coz it shows how
it's a saint's day *every day*.  So, step forward one ST. RASTISLAV.  Happy St.
Rastislav's Day!  The only Slovak dread?  We can but hope....

Nice pics Ian.  Nice smile Stuart.

Angela, what of T.O.?  Well, I was there two years ago, so things might've
changed a bit, but I went to a great little venue called the Horseshoe and saw
the super furries, an enormous warehouse of a venue called, erm, the warehouse
where I saw Stereolab supporting Sonic Youth and went to a couple of clubs, one
of which was called El Morcambo, played a lot of Northern soul, a bit of St
Etienne and was peopled by characters dressed up like Gary Numan, Steve Strange
and Suggs.

There's never enough hours in the day to listen to all the bands I'd like to
hear, but if anyone can tell me anything about Interpol, Serial P.O.P., Dudley
Corporation or Of Montreal then I'd love to hear from you.  I might be going to
see Of Montreal at the end of the month actually.  At the end of the week, the
latest local lads to be bigged up by Nightshift, Elizabeth, are playing at the
newly-refurbished Wheatsheaf so I will almost certainly pop along.

Bye for now,
Mark

ps my blog now has, y'know, stuff on it:
http://grandpontgenie.blogspot.com

For up-to-the-minute music news, reviews and specials visit
http://www.nme.com

Get free e-mail (anyname at nme.com) now at http://www.nmemail.com

The sender of this e-mail is NOT an employee or associate of NME,
nme.com or any other IPC magazine.