Sinister: montreal

Das Madchen mit die Schere bookworm_trochet at xxx.com
Wed Jan 22 06:10:17 GMT 2003

WARNING: Pointless message follows. I composed it in my head while I was washing dishes this evening. I will unload my soul, however there IS B&S content so the people who write periodically saying that they're sick of people unloading their souls in lieu of actual B&S content can't complain.

When I first heard Fold Your Hands... I wasn't really sure what to think of it. It definitely took some time to grow on me. Not to say that it's inferior to the other B&S releases, it's just it was really the first thing to come out after I got into them...well...maybe Legal Man was first, but that's not the point. Anyway, I was used to Sinister and Boy With the Arab Strap and such and for me, FYHCYWLAP was very different stuff, although in retrospect, I don't think it's such a huge departure from the older LPs.

Before I go on a long rant, meaningful only to me, I'd like to say that the main reason why I adore Belle and Sebastian so much is because I can relate to them so well. I think I'll always be able to. I could relate to them in 6th grade, and I can relate to them now in 9th grade. Three years doesn't seem like such a big difference, but believe me - 11 year olds and 14 year olds are lightyears apart.

Anyway...

Of all the songs on FYHCYWLAP, I really love The Model, Women's Realm, and There's too Much Love. The first two Joanne mentioned and the last one I've added myself. I supposed I like them because I see myself in them so much - especially in Women's Realm and There's too Much Love. Especially in There's too Much Love. Heck, Stuart may as well have been writing about me. I've got another face, and frankly, I don't see it as a fault, either. Furthermore, I've always been viewed by the people around me as "faultless to a tee" (my entire math class thinks I'm some sort of child prodigy when, really, all I do is stay awake) and frankly, I hate it. Half of the time I wish they'd figure out that underneath I am the same as them and half the time I'm scared to death they will. I can't win.

I can also completely relate to the tragic wistfulness in Women's Realm. That's just what I personally get out of the song - I may be way off as to what it's really trying to convey seeing as I have no idea what it is. But for me, it talks about sort of wishing you were elsewhere, but at the same time glad you're right where you are. Yeah, that's me, too.

Finally, The Model. Every time I hear him singing, "And with this chance I've missed/I feel remiss/It's weeks and months before I'll see you again" I always think of the last day of 8th grade. I knew it would be weeks and months before I saw some of my wonderful, wonderful friends again. There's so much I wish I had said and done that I didn't get around to doing. For example, I wish I had said to the idiot I unfortunately spent most of the year ogling at, "You know, I used to like you. But then you opened your mouth and it ended." On second thought, maybe I'm glad I didn't say that. But still, there were several people I wish I had been nicer (and meaner) to throughout the year. I had sort of hoped that I'd get the nerve to tell some people what I really thought of them, but I didn't. I guess that'll teach me to procrastinate.

Before you think I've completely lost of the vein of Joanne's post, I'd just like to say that my comfort C.D. is 3.. 6.. 9.. Seconds of Light. All I have to do is hear the opening lines of Century of Fakers and I'm happy. Although, if we're talking LPs, then it's definitely If Your Feeling Sinister. If Stars of Track and Field and Seeing Other People doesn't make me feel better, I can always count on the intro to Me and the Major to make me smile. In fact, some mornings I set my alarm to play that song when I wake up I always open my eyes surprised to find that I'm smiling.

Well my self-indulgent post has ended. Thank you to all who bothered to read it.

-Holly