Sinister: Easy on the sweet n sour

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Thu Jan 23 20:30:13 GMT 2003

Dear Sinister

I haven't written for a bit and I promise to write more soon. I just feel
like writing a little tonight as our Glaswegian darlings are going to be on
the radio soon and I'm getting quite excited about it. I've been listening
to Belle and Sebastian recently after hardly listening to them at all for
ages, and they still give me all the old feelings. I've just been lying here
on the bed listening to Marx and Engels and I really wouldn't rather be
anywhere else.

Joanne and Holly both said how much they like FLAPPYFLOPS. I do too,
although some of the songs make me wince a little. I think The Model is
great, for instance, and I Fought In a War and Don't Leave the Light On. You
could never call it as consistent as Sinister or Tigermilk, but sometimes it
truly dazzles. I also *love* I'm Waking Up to Us. Maybe that one would be a
good one for your mum, Jen. At least, it doesn't have any rude bits in it.

+++

My mum isn't very cool, although I wouldn't really want her to be. She's
much more fun just being a bit daft. Me and my sister had great fun at home
during the holidays asking mum questions to see how in touch with the modern
world she is:

"Name ten famous football players"

"Erm, Gazza!"

"Yes!"

"Erm, Gary Lineker!"

"Yes!"

"Ooh, I don't know. I like Gary Lineker, he's brill! That's what you
children say, isn't it?"

"MUM!"

+++

Ken wrote about Hong Kong and Lord of the Rings and this reminded me of a
little conversation I had with Nick from the Chinese takeaway down the road
last year, as I waited for my Crispy Duck in Plum Sauce (number 74).

N: Have you seen Lord of the Rings?

R: Yes I have. I thought it was really good, actually, although, to be
honest, the book bored me to tears.

N: Do you know how I first hear about Lord of the Rings?

R: No, tell me Nick.

N: When I first move here I live in a flat with landlord and other lady. One
day I come downstairs and I see a note from the lady to the landlord lying
on the kitchen table and it says "You are the lord of my ring."

R: Oh. Er..

N: And I think, what does this mean? And then, last year, I find out Lord of
the Rings is a book! You know, I couldn't understand until then. Crispy Duck
in Plum Sauce?

R: Er, yes, bye!

+++

It's time for me to leave this joint too.

bye!

Robin x

ps: Dirty Vicar, in Deutsch Plus today we saw the episode when Nico got
thrown out of his house. It was very funny. Arm Nico! I'm going to write to
Deutsch Plus and try to get a signed photo of Nico. He is my hero.

[ by express delivery : http://www.superatomic.co.uk/blog ] << look! my
blog!! this week robin has fun looking out the window and talking about
german dogs. really, you may as well just watch some telly or eat some
cornflakes or something.