Sinister: Changes and Sinister Blogs

Dimitra Daisy zoziepop at xxx.com
Sun Jan 26 17:15:01 GMT 2003

Dear Sinister,

I decided to write you this letter while walking down a street. This might
not mean much in itself, but if you knew me better, you might have guessed
what I was thinking while walking down that street. Then again, maybe you
wouldn’t. In any case, I was thinking about how things change. How they
change a lot, unexpectedly and in funny ways -in both senses of the word
funny. Everything seems unexpected even though I spend a lot of my time
preparing for the future, and I don’t think I’m half bad at it. Still,
reality is always different from what I’ve imagined. Different doesn’t
always mean worse.

Different is a big part of life. Reality is different than your dreams, both
those dreamed at night and those dreamt in the daytime. What turns out is
different than what you had planned. That boy is different from up close
than he looked from far away, when you dreamed of him. Even the places where
you take your holidays in are different that you thought they would be. And
if you’ve been there before, well, then they tend to change with time.

You change with time too. Sometimes people don’t notice. I know a girl who
got angry at a house because it didn’t care. Other times, people
misinterpret it. Often they get disappointed. This particularly happens if
you’re in a band hundreds of people adore. Then, everything you do can be
judged, and people aren’t very good at judging. Or maybe they’re too good.
In any case they’re not very good at being content and happy. I’m getting
better every day.

Things change with time too. Mailing lists, the internet, the way people
express themselves. Hopefully the way people live, too. And I say hopefully
because for me change has always been a chance for something better. When I
was a little girl I would get excited every time the doorbell rang. The
prospect of someone I hadn’t seen in a while coming to play with me and
change that boring afternoon (or make that interesting afternoon even
better) made me bounce on the bed a few times before running straight to the
door. There, I would try to stand where my brother was standing, or he would
do the same thing with where I was standing.

Since then the prospect of change has always been a positive one. Whenever I
am about to move (and it happens quite a lot) I always think I am about to
find my dream home and have a wonderful life in it. I haven’t even got close
but somehow it doesn’t get me down. The dream of moving still gives me the
strongest visions of happiness. In any case, it’s good to know you have
within you the power to dream of such beautiful things. It changes can
change the way you look at yourself.

Of course, a lot of the time reality lets you down. To be honest, it happens
too often. It happens more than people admit to it. As the aforementioned
girl said, the trick is not to take it personally. You are not what the
world revolves around. Not even your world. Think of that: deep down, it is
a good thought. It can be very liberating.

So a lot of the time things change, or turn out to be different, in ways
that let you down. People grow up and, for a hundred different reasons,
leave you behind. Your favourite band starts writing music that doesn’t
effect your life the way it used to. And this mailing list is not what it
used to be, either. People neglect to post –I do too- for a hundred
different reasons. They have other people to write to, other places to write
in and other things to take care of. Possibly secrets to keep, too.

It is often said that people don’t post to this list, because they post to
these blog things of theirs. I thought it would be a good idea to make a
list of them all. So if you have one, are –or have been- on this list, and
want people on this list to know about it, could you please email me (OFF
LIST PLEASE). Include your name, the site’s name, the URL, and, except if
you’re feeling particularly uninspired and/or lazy, why you made it. Please
do it even if I know you and your site. It will keep things easy.

Changes can be good, they can be bad, and they can just be different, but in
any case they are going to happen. And what they are above all is, to me,
surprising -and thus interesting. The world and the way it works never
ceases to surprise me, and this is one of the things that keep me alive.
Changes are less scary when you allow them and accept them. People –and as a
consequence, the things they make- have their own lives to live, their own
destiny to follow even. They say true love is that which accepts other
people’s destiny, even if it means they’ll leave you.

Love,
Dimitra Daisy xx

~~~~~~
Meanwhile, the idea has left its home in the sky and it was travelling fast
through the atmosphere of the planet... it landed on the bed, among us the
empty cups of tea and the Lucksmiths, Sodastream and Magnetic Fields
records.
  http://www.friendsoftheheroes.co.uk/