Sinister: Do you realise that you have the most beautiful face?

Ivone Rebelo ivone_rebelo at xxx.com
Wed Jan 29 11:51:21 GMT 2003

It's strange how life works. How one mention of one band can rip me
away from reclusive pensive thought and can plunge me into a new,
entirely active intellectual world.

I've known of Belle and Sebastian since 1998,however I never really explored
the band in depth. I live in Australia,where B+S, if mentioned, is usually
greeted with a quizzical frown. The band is truly underground, spread by
word of mouth. At least, where I live.

What inspired me to rediscover the band was a quick flash. At work,
while we were deciding what CD's to play, I saw a red flash. A girl
was flipping quickly through her CD case, deciding what to put on. I
was shocked that she was shocked that we were both amazed about knowing
Belle and Sebastian. That red flash was Sinister. Now here I am on the
Sinister mailing list 3 months on. She apparently found out about B+S
from an American guy she dated about a year ago, and I found out about
B+S from some British guy I knew.

I think that is what makes B+S so unique for me as a band, is that they
are not in the public. I've never seen a video clip, I've never heard
them played on the radio. I've been to the official websites and found
scant information. No real in-depth interviews, no indication of who
they really are*.

Anyway, that is my experience of B+S, that is my image of them. I'm
sure there are a lot of you who would immediately disagree, and I'd be
interested to know how you all see them. Even how they see themselves.

The posting by Dimitra Daisy (V4 #966) really struck a chord. Her experience
of the world is fascinating.  Until reading it, I never truly knew that
there are people that think
in the same way as I do in the world. It was comforting somehow, and
altogether "an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round"
(F.L. ref.). I liked the way she views change. However what she leaves
behind as old is what I begin as
new.

So hello to all of you, and thanks for at least skimming through my
very first entry!

ivone_rebelo at hotmail.com.au

*the exception being Stuart's diary from the band website.

Quote of the day: "Freedom is often just a choice of cages"