Sinister: WWDPD?

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Wed Jan 29 20:28:18 GMT 2003

I've decided to keep up my regular weekly posting to Sinister even when no
one has questioned my virtuousness lest I inadvertently set a precedent of
only speaking up when someone insults me or insinuates that I might actually
stoop low enough to do something like  k-i-s-s a b-o-y. Archel hardly needs
an excuse to start yelling, "Bow to the queen
of slime, the queen of filth, the queen of putrescence!" as it is, much less
just to get my attention.

I actually meant to write this yesterday but I was busy with two
houseguests. Yes, I'm all about eating pancakes which they've made for me,
or waiting on them as they wash my car or take it to get its oil changed, or
picking out which color of paint (tea green) that they are to buy so they
can paint my room. This hosting thing is so involved and I'm just plum worn
out.

Thus, I shall keep this short and snappy (the opposite of me) with only two
semi-sinister related tidbits. The first is that Stuart David's Nalda Said
is finally being released in the US in April of this year for the mere price
of $14.95. Previously it was just published by Independent Music Press but
now Turtle Point Press is putting out an edition for the twee US population.
For the record, the cover on this edition is HEINOUS. I shall scan it in at
some point and link it in my next post so it can haunt your sleep as well.
However, there is a picture of Sir David looking all cute and glazed eye on
the back cover which well makes up for the front. I like how they act as if
he still is the bass player for b&s instead of it being past tense. They
also go into how b&s were voted the "Best British Newcomer" and called "the
new Smiths" before they ever get around to mentioning Looper. Of course,
they ended the whole blurb with how the book has been translated and
received excellent reviews in both Italy and Germany so perhaps they were
just desperate. I quite liked the orange book which I received from twee
Dannypie, read, sighed, and promptly passed on to GayJay. This isn't
confirmed but rumor has it that Jay sleeps with it under his pillow beside a
stuffed Dalek which he received as a Christmas present back in 1989. Or at
least this is the scenario which I like the best.

The second book blip has to do with a new book written by Will Self which is
a retelling of Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray with all of the original's
characters mutated into modern day counterparts. Thus, Henry Wotton is an
open homosexual with a nasty heroin habit and his protegee is a video
artist. Naturally (or unnaturally I suppose), all of the three main
characters are HIV positive and the novel is more of an examination on gay
life as it "skewers" British society and is full of lines like, "I want my
sins to be like sushi - fresh, small, and entirely raw." Personally, I don't
ever plan to touch the book but the summary was my afternoon's amusement -
mwahaha.

Well, I'm at the bookshop now so I suppose I ought to get back to helping
the dark eyed dwarven creatures from the underground who still brave the
light of day in order to buy the new Robert Jordan book before they try
something desperate to get my attention - like talk to me. Heaven forfend.

xo,
Ll

ps - Don't trust Miss Maddie Minx for a second about her being busy with
schoolwork. I know for a fact that whe she says "I have to spend all day on
the computer typing my paper" she means "I have to spend all day being
distracted from my paper by googling old boyfriends."
pps - I made another roadtrip up north last week and stayed with Miss Laurel
and Willzebub Porter in the lovely hamlet of Jersey City again. She didn't
make me grout her bathroom, refurbish any of her furniture, or paint any
rooms but it was still a cozy stay replete with fantastic chili which I had
been craving all day.