Sinister: Beautiful music makes crazy bees land in a stable (5,3,9)

terry underwear terryunderwear at xxx.com
Fri Jan 31 02:48:44 GMT 2003

hello everybody,

i thought i should take some time out of my busy "riding about on koalas, drinking Fosters and being attacked by Great White Sharks" schedule to post.

First up, a hefty chunk of content.  I was drinking in a pub while on holiday recently.  In the corner of the pub stood at TV.  The TV was tuned into Sky Channel, which shows all those lovely gentlemanly sports like boxing, wrestling, snooker and horse racing.  All of a sudden my ears were pricked by a very familiar tune.  "That's Belle and Sebastian!" I said loudishly.  People looked at me blankly.  I blushed.  The music was coming from the telly, and I was kind of surprised to find that "Legal Man" was being used in an advert for a New Zealand horse racing show.  How bizarre I thought.

A few people have been writing about B&S songs recently.  My favourite is "Beautiful" at the moment.  The quietly strummed acoustic guitar, Stuart's lovely voice and the way it wavers ever so slightly at the end of the first chorus, the Robert Kirby-ish strings, and then the trumpet that makes me want to yell "hey everybody, come and listen to Belle and Sebastian with me!"

Robin Stout said his Mum says "brill".  My Mum has just started using the word "cool".  It is a little disturbing.

~stine has a nice list of things to do.  I share 3 of that list - learning to knit, wearing bracelets and reading Ulysses properly.  My Mum has just showed me how to knit, so I am going to make a scarf for winter (which is still 5 months away for us Southern Hemispherites).  I am going to accessorise more this year, mainly in the form of braclets and cufflinks.

ian's idea of an ink polaroid day is great.

i think the metric system is way better than the imperial system.

i just got back to perth after a holiday in esperance.  it was a grand holiday, with lots of swimming, sand-castle making, laziness, fishing, island hopping, reading and hiking.  I made like Jack Kerouac and sprinted down a couple of mini-mountains.  Japhy was right in saying that you can't fall of a mountain.

The Go-Between's are playing in Perth on the 15th of February!  I know a few of you Perth folk are going, so would anyone be interested in having a pre-gig picnic/pubnic?  I'll even organise it if you like.  Just let me know...

i'm off for a haircut.

terry
---
here's what i think: http://naivetysucceeds.blogspot.com