Sinister: fair suck of the sav

David Hewitt bulkdavid at xxx.com
Fri Jul 4 07:55:40 BST 2003

G'day all.

Terry Underwear (if that IS his real name...) said:

"I hope my clothes dry in time, else I'll be forced to use the
environmentally unfriendly dryer."

Embrace the dryer. It is your friend. Admittedly, I live in a second-floor
flat without a balcony or courtyard, so I have no choice in the matter, but
seriously, clothesdryers are one of the things that keep us civilised. I
once tried to dry some towels outside, and when I brought them in I had to
get them wet again before folding them, as I felt sure they'd snap if I
attempted it dry. Then, when I stepped out of the shower, and reached for a
towel to dry myself with, I scraped off almost an entire butt-cheek in my
dazed, half-awake state, before I realised that my usually soft and fluffy
towel had been transformed into a giant piece of sandpaper.

Did you know that in the US they even have these little cloths that you put
in the dryer, to make your clothes even softer and more fluffy than the
dryer can manage on its own? Why on earth we don't have them here, I've no
idea. We also don't have margarine in sticks - only in blocks or tubs (much
to the annoyance of my American missus). They don't have Tim Tams over
there, though, so I guess it evens out. Anyway: embrace the dryer, I say
again to you, and let it rain!

Then he said:

"I have a strange sense of national pride building, and the reason for it is
one Mark Philippoussis."

Admittedly, it's part of the Australian persona to be almost ashamed and
apologetic for being Australian. Our culture, accent, history - everything
embarrasses us. I'm not entirely sure why this is, as the more I travel, the
more I realise how wonderful a place this truly is, and how a lot of other
countries acknowledge this far more readily than we do. It's strange how
sporting achievements seem to be the only acceptable cause for national
pride for most people. Bung a couple of snags on the barbie and sink a tinny
for me, ya beautiful bastard. Being an Aussie is fuckin' grouse.

Although I take no interest in tennis whatsoever, I do have to admit to also
having been a bit caught up in the Poo's progress, since the wife's been
staying up and watching it while I've been trying to sleep. I've taken to
shouting 'carn the Poo!' at the screen at random intervals, which worries me
somewhat. Normally the only thing that makes me shout at the telly is
Neighbours. "Give Darcy the chair! The CHAIR, I say!"

He also said something about Belle and Sebastian, but what have they done
for us lately, eh? Eh?

That's what I thought.

Anyway, I only really posted to piddle away part of the last hour's work for
the week, and to voice my support for the humble clothesdryer - perhaps the
most misunderstood and underappreciated of all the domestic appliances
(except perhaps the tiny but mighty 'fuzz wuzzy', but that's a topic for
another day). Still, the list's been rather quiet, so you can probably deal
with the occasional rubbishy bit of fluff like this.

Oh, there was another reason: Happy 4th of July, Seppos!

Independence and all that must be a wonderful thing. Maybe we need to give
the Queen a gold watch or something*, and thank her for her time, but tell
her that there really isn't much left for her to do down here. Then maybe we
could have barbies and fireworks and all that stuff in the middle of the
year.

I'm not a remotely politically informed person, but I'm pretty sure there
couldn't be too much harm in it. Plus, I reckon we could also do with one of
those first amendment thingies. Still, all in good time, I suppose. The
tennis is on, for one thing ;)

Bulk love,
-Vanilla Flavoured David

*I'd say 'carriage clock', and try to be all clever, except I'm not entirely
sure I know what one is.