No subject

Kimberly Girton kimgirton at xxx.com
Thu Jul 17 15:23:16 BST 2003

Hello all,
Can three posts earn me an exit pass from Lurkerdom?  I'm not sure I'd like
that, being quite comfortable as a Lurker.  I am a fan of Lurking.   I feel
as though if I post, it implies the ridiculous notion that I imagine myself
a person with something interesting to say.  May I reiterate the phrase
"ridiculous notion?"

And yet, speaking of interesting things to say, the infamous Laura Llew
wrote: "Evidently, they remembered me telling about I wouldn't mind having
hooked up with Emily Dickinson. She would have been great to be in love
with. Even if you both lived in the same town, you could just see her
through a window across the street and occasionally wave at each other.
Now that's love."
I have to say, that's probably one of the most accurate desscriptions I've
ever heard of the perfect relationship for the Quietly Aloof (as opposed to
The Antisocial, or even The Emotionally Unavailable...).  To have the "warm
fuzzies," ------ ah, that lovely feeling ----- and at least a vague sense of
the unconditional acceptance of a relationship... but without all the bother
of human interaction, which is frought with perils, being dependent on
humans who are by definition fuck-ups (wow, that ended the illusion that
could at all feign a poetic voice)...  Anyway, I just wanted to point out
that the Emily-Dickinson-in-the-Window is a splendid metaphor.

On to more concrete things: Since I've gotten a huge zilch on time/place
suggestions for the MidAtlantic Picnic, I'm going to perform a First for
myself and take initiative.  I'm throwing out a picnicky date here -- seems
to me a good weekend would be that of *August 23*?  Perhaps An Afternoon
Picnic on the Mall, either that Saturday or Sunday.  If we all get on
famously, there's always NW and Adam's Morgan nightlife to behold later in
the evening.  Foodstuffs, booze, activities and booze can be arranged; I'm
just looking for a general roll call as to who's up for it.  Anyone?  As
always, emails are welcome.  And if you're feeling blase about it, just
think of all the reporting back we could do!  We could even lie to make it
sound like we had WAY more fun than we actually did!  Enticing, isn't it?

Besides, SOMEONE'S got to throw popcorn at the tourists.  I'm tired of doing
it every weekend all by myself.  It gets lonely and inconveniently buttery.

Back to work.  Ugh.

Best to all,
Kim