Sinister: Golden lights displaying your name

Liz Daplyn lizdaplyn at xxx.com
Fri Jul 18 11:12:11 BST 2003

THE TREES THEY GROW HIGH

The shrubberies on top of Primrose Hill may have to be pressed into service
as shelters tomorrow if the weather continues intermittently wet and windy.
It’s happened in the past, and it’ll happen in the future.  Don’t let that
put you off coming out to frolic and feast, though, and all hilltop chills
can be shrugged off by some frenzied indie-kid dancing at Tigermilking
later.  You know it makes sense.  A positive aspect to less clement weather
is that I won’t get sunstroke and be sick after drinking too much warm white
wine, which is a bonus as Brighton beach won’t be there handy to receive the
contents of my stomach.

AND THE LEAVES THEY DO GROW GREEN

On my train journey inland from the seaside last Sunday, exhausted and
slightly dazed from heaving boxes up stairs and the ensuing beery session, I
couldn’t be bothered getting my CD player out for a while, but sat by a
speeding window staring out hypnotised at adolescent wheatfields
fragmentarily displaying whole regiments of acidic green stems under the
golden surface as a desultory wind ruffled them like feathers.  Darkness
soon followed me along the vector of earth I was travelling, and
‘Regeneration’ by the Divine Comedy took me all the way home including the
Tube.

MANY’S THE TIME MY YOUNG LOVE I’VE SEEN

A key to the senses is distance: we can see further than we can hear
(dependant upon conditions) and can sense fair or foul odours from further
away than the confines of our skin, which bears the pleasures and burdens of
tactility.  Finally, it is only by internalising an object, by taking it
into our mouth, that we can experience the intimacy of taste.  Thus
something horrible seen or heard is not as visceral (literally: of the
intestines - gutwrenching) as something scented, felt or, most disturbingly,
tasted.  Is this scale of experiential intensity equally applicable to
pleasant phenomena?

MANY’S THE TIME I’VE WATCHED HIM ALL ALONE

A classic Bond film in the form of ‘Goldfinger’ was on TV the other day,
annoyingly partitioned and bisected by the 10 o’clock news, but jolly good
fun all the same, prompting nostalgic juvenile sniggers at the character
played by Miss Honor Blackman, ‘Pussy Galore’.  But anyway, I realised
during the pre-credits shooting and shagging sequence that the Sneaker
Pimps’ minor 1997 hit ‘6 Underground’ is built around a sample from the
score to this celluloid triumph.  A while ago I placed the glockenspiel
sample that Pizzicato 5 used for ‘Baby Love Child’, but now I can’t remember
which 60s soul track it comes from now.  Bah.  Might be the Righteous
Brothers’ version of ‘You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling’.

HE’S YOUNG BUT HE’S DAILY GROWING

My, this mail has turned into a bit of a monster.  However, to segue
inelegantly: as Minnie Ripperton sang so memorably, "Loving shoes is easy
because they’re beautiful", and that applies most particularly to my new
pointy brown suede high heels.  I could dent some shins real good with these
babies, I’m tellin’ you.  Brown really is the new black, you know.  Don’t
misunderstand me, I’m not a fetishist, but by gum there’s something special
about swinging the weight of a newly filled shoebox inside a fresh carrier
bag as you stride along the street for an appointment with destiny.  Ah,
retail therapy: the canny shopper can save thousands on shrink bills and
crockery.

I’ll leave you with that thought for the day, and it only remains to thank
Mr Ian Watson for another storming How Does It Feel To Be Loved? at the
ever-red Buffalo Bars at Highbury Corner.  Soon coming to a Friday near you!
  I almost literally can’t wait.

Love,
Liz :x