Sinister: James Joyce Project:Bands Needed

minster at xxx.net minster at xxx.net
Thu Jun 5 09:04:03 BST 2003

Right-I'll get this out of the way now... I know this is likely to get me kicked(or worse, harrassed)
off the list but that's a chance I'm willing to take.
Fire Records have a project in the making that I think would likely appeal
to a whole host of you talented lot, I suppose the idea is to make the offer
and hope the response is warm and overwhelming!
I will apologise in advance for the shameless promotion, but won't
apologise for the opportunity to scare up some more incredibly
savoury interest in this project. Press Release to Follow...

James Joyce- Chamber Music: Poetry In 36 Parts (1907)

The impetus is love, and what could be more universal?
James at Fire Records(London) is actively seeking out bands to
show interest and ultimately commit to the project. It's incredibly ambitious and has a tremendous amount of scope. The project is truly visionary and it is hoped will appeal to a diverse collective of artists & audience.

The aim is essentially this:
Chamber Music is a 1907 Poem split into 36 parts. We're looking to find 36 bands to set each poem to music. This was attempted in 1909 by a friend of Joyce's - but the first public performance was by Adolf Mann in 1910.This will result in a double disc release with the potential for an evening of live performance in London- later this year.

James thinks:
''Chamber Music charts love, love that ultimately ends in failure. So to me it's very real - and I (like most people) have experienced that in many different forms. Its one story, one song - split into 36 parts - each part bringing you deeper in - and each part capturing each stage of development. I believe that each band will be able to do that and offer if nothing else a piece of themselves.''

This is to be a double disc, further to a double vinyl version for the kids(*wink*)
Each band will be choosing their verse
it's a case of first come first serve, quite literally.
Each track should ideally clock in around 2 odd minutes
The following link will bring you to a source of the entire body of work:
http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/1066

A hard copy can be supplied if it's more convenient.

James is available to answer any and all questions you might have about the
particulars of the project as it is taking shape-
please direct all queries and concerns to his attention.
Contact us directly to make a stanza selection.
He can be reached at james at firerecords.com
I can be reached at carla at firerecords.com

There has been such an amazing response this early on-  the quality
is staggering, couldn't really be more pleased about it.
Thanks in advance for all the interest and attention that is bound to
make this endeavor a huge success.

Carla Edwards