Sinister: A summer that doesn't feel wasted

Caitlin Ross wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Jun 16 18:08:40 BST 2003

Thanks to everyone who came along to the lovely sunny Greenwich Park on
Saturday.  We were such stars, we were given a naval gun salute whilst
waiting in Cutty Sark Gardens.  After realising that Ken would probably
take hours to arrive, we set off up the hill into the park.

We sat on the grass and watched squirrels, illicit barbecues and women
being pulled around in little carts.  We talked about pigeon porn,
gingerbread orgies, and a dog invaded the picnic and started licking
someone's cherries.  Over in the distance, three men were making a pop
video.  One looked a little like Moby, or maybe Michael Stipe.  They
tried to throw a big yellow balloon about, but it hovered in midair and
blew off in the wrong direction.  They stage-fought each other with
umbrellas; we wondered if it was a Bulgarian spy training school.
Eventually their balloon burst, so they had to make do with their
umbrellas, and a guitar they took turns to strum tunelessly.

My holiday in London made me want to come down to London all the time
and do stuff like that *every* weekend.  I mean, it's the BIG CITY!
Many thanks to Ken for emailing you all about it when I couldn't post
to the list, and Mark, Neil, Paul, James and Tara for coming along too.

In London, I was staying with an old friend (who doesn't like B&S), in
a wee basement flat somewhere between Brixton and Stockwell.  Sitting
on his sofa on my first evening, I looked around and took in the room.
Over in the corner on the far side of the room was a big shelf bursting
with CDs.  I flicked my eyes over their spines, and saw one whose spine
was mostly white with black writing, but with a small patch of green at
one end.  "Woo!" I thought, "this is going to be a good holiday."

love
xx
Caitlin

--