Sinister: sonar mayhem

hannah brown pass_the_peas85 at xxx.com
Tue Jun 17 23:23:11 BST 2003

greetings chumps,

I got back from the Sonar festival in Barcelona today, i had a big long
sparkly bath and now i am reflecting on it's wonderfulness. There was a
brilliant selection of bands, dj's and obscure electronic nonsense including
Bjork, Underworld, LCD Soundsystem and Ladytron. John Peel was knocking
about and is raving about the festival on his show right now. My mate saw
him in the chemist with his family, i hoped that i would see him too but i
didn't, probably because i was too busy staring at the ground looking for
money in true scabber style.

Ladytron were quite fun but far too po-faced for my liking. I wanted that
lead singer woman to wear denim and scream a bit. At on point i wanted to
shoud something obscene like " Cut your hair, it looks shit!" but i didn't
think they would understand.

Bjork was truely wonderful, but i missed most of it because of the massive
ques. I stood at the back and strained to get a glimps of her jumping about
but she was too far awat. I wanted to be at the front so i could be totally
immersed in her world. It made me shed a little tear.

The highlight of the whole show was Schnider TM. You have got to check this
lot out. They did that famous cover of "there is a light that never goes
out" by The Smiths. Anyway, they came on in lab coats and played some crazy,
cute, amusing electronica. Schnider ended up dancing around the stage like a
robot and singing a song about vodka&orange and frogs. John Peel is playing
the gig on thursday and i suggest you listen to it, even for the cool german
accents. I was a the front whooping like a tropical bird. It's reaal good
stuff.

anyway i'm off to reflect some more and to try and forget that i'm not going
to glastonbury again.

hannah b