Sinister: Puretonic

Liz Daplyn lizdaplyn at xxx.com
Tue Jun 17 22:51:00 BST 2003

Well well well, here we are once more.  Summertime, and the living is easy,
or at least not that hard.  Although the head aches a little.  Unplanned
barbequeues of a Monday night are death to happy Tuesday awakenings, my
friends, and that information is yours absolutely gratis, a gift from the
horse’s mouth.

(I got two pale hands up against the window pane
I'm shaking with the heat of my need again)

So, on and off on the bus in the mornings, I’ve been thinking about the
different purposes people put popular music to.  It’s all very interesting,
at least to a half-asleep brain that’s managed to osmose a little poncy
cultural theory over the past few years.  Politically and publicly music is
used for cheerleading purposes, for entertainment and for proselytizing, but
here I’m thinking more about specifically personal and private functions.

(Listening to the radio I feel so out of place
There's a certain something missing that the treble can't erase)

I mean, I refuse to believe that the estate kids hanging out near my house
in the evenings think about nowt but shagging, drinking and dancing, just as
I wouldn’t imagine that other cardie-wearing, biscuit-nibbling B&S fans
think of nothing but tweenage lesbians and Terry Underwear while running
through parks, pursued by townies, although these two images would seem to
be suggested by the lyrical content of our respective listening matter.  But
any convenient stereotype (this word comes, interestingly enough, from early
machine printing at the beginning of the age of mechanical reproduction) by
its nature must involve abbreviation, elision and omission of essential
elements in order to present a glib and exclusive surface for those both
inside and outside the subculture in question.

Pop music is a useful focus for the emerging social identity, augmented and
accompanied by foxy corn-rows or, ‘alternatively’, Sanrio hairgrips.  Is it
something we give up as we slide comfortably into the Gap as we grow older
and maybe more confident in our ability to retain our indentities while
gradually becoming de-tribalised?  After all, middle-aged people can look
pretty daft in dolly shoes and Talulah Gosh t-shirts, and feel more
comfortable in sensible trainers anyway.  Or maybe we just need an easier
ride without all that teenage angst to sustain us.

(I know you can tell just by looking at my face
A word about my weakness
I'm totally addicted to bass)

Does an instant connection with the booty bypass the brain entirely in the
majority of our appreciation of music?  I only know that the ticking beat
and twitchy rrriddims of glossy UK Garage production are instantly
recognisable and utterly attractive, leading to an ass-shaking of global
proportions, but most of the lyrics are pure rubbidge, of course, as with
99% of everything.

(Woah-woh-oh)

This matters not a jot, because after all, most post-listening analysis only
serves to provide some kind of semi-theoretical basis for justifying an
initial gut reaction, whether positive or negative.  Haha, like most
cultural ramblings, our reactions say more about us than about the artistic
product.

(Your bassline is shooting up my spine
Your bassline has got me feeling fine
It's filling up my mind)

Whatever, I’m hoping for some pure pop thrills, as well as something maybe a
bit more errr cerebral, at the hugely exciting revival of Tigermilking in
only a few short weeks’ time.  Do your worst, boys and girls of the decks,
and those not so pivileged will, one hopes, turn up in droves to shake their
thangs.

This here has been written in bitesize chunks while experiencing the
wonderful world of work as a (very junior) media ‘ho’, which today has
involved sorting out a vastly disorganised and grubby stationery cupboard.
So I’m feeeelthy now, but I’m off home to become clean, revise this pile of
nonsense, then submit it for your kind attention.  It doesn’t include half
the brilliant stuff I thought I’d thought about, but like poetry written in
the middle of the night, half-asleep bus musings rarely live up to
expectations when solidified.

Well, au revoir, chaps.

   Love,
     Liz :x