Sinister: g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-go

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Thu Jun 19 05:40:41 BST 2003

back in year five this was, our proper teacher was off sick or something so
we had this supply teacher bloke - he came across as a bit odd right from
the outset, had a grey suit and the name - mr oborsky! was most out of the
ordinary. this was a catholic primary school man, we weren't used to much
that was unusual - anyway back then none of us were really the type to
question what was going on, nor to turn our noses up at anything that broke
the 'copy this down from the board' routine (if there seems to be a break in
the flow here it's because i just spilled my glass of coke over the table
and i had to, er, break the flow of that (see i'm all for these nested
puns), getting coke on my library copy of john savage's 'england's dreaming'
book (which is very good incidentally) taking my tally of water damaged
library books up to two (the other being a rather more battered copy of 'the
beautiful and damned' - i'm feeling a bit more guilty about this one since
i'm only the second person to have borrowed this copy, like, ever so i'm
using the skeez brokered during my tenure as library staff and doing my
utmost to fix it, i'll let you know how that goes (they should invent paper
which doesn't crumple, you'd think with today's modern technology etc etc)).
and mr oborsky was just the man to do that, i remember that instead of the
usual maths or RE that we'd usually do he started to teach us about the
staphylococcus aureus (ok, i had to google that for the spelling, fair
enough) virus - which i think you learn about if you do a-level biology. it
all seemed a bit odd, but the diagrams he drew on the blackboard (which even
now remain probably the best and most interesting bits of blackboard art
that i've ever seen) (didn't you used to hate the teachers who would go: "oh
i can't draw"? i did) were great, little coloured blobs with hairs coming
out the sides and big colourful borders. none of it made much sense to me,
nor i presume to my classmates at the time, we were only nine or ten you
know - even now i'm not sure quite what the virus is or does, though in the
process of googling for the spelling i did encounter some quite fearsome
pictures, so i can't imagine it's anything good. quite why mr oborsky chose
to use the one day he had teaching our class to tell us about something
so... obscure is beyond me. though thinking about it it must be great being
a supply teacher right? staphylococcus aureus one day, perhaps proudhon the
next, gamelan music for a friday, you could teach whatever you wanted,
because by the time anyone came to review it you'd be long gone, off in a
classroom on the other side of the city banging on about herman nitsch to a
bunch of five year olds. brilliant.

i've been scared of spiders ever since i was really small - in fact i can
trace back the time to when i remember first being scared to spiders, it may
in fact have been the occasion which instigated the whole fear in the first
place. i was in the bathroom at home, having just washed my face i pick up a
towel (i want you to imagine this all filmic, imagine you're there - in fact
it could be some sort of kooky pop video man - imagine i'm singing this
whole paragraph to you) to dry myself, quite naturally. there must've been a
spider lurking on the towel, and with my face and hair all wet i must've
just groped towards it without looking properly and dried myself and then
when i pulled the towel from my face and looked in the mirror there was
something sort of perched on my ear, a big black apparition. for what seems
like some seconds but is probably less than one i do nothing i just look and
then in one swift motion i brush the thing away, watch it fall awkwardly
onto the tiled floor, and then sprawl out and make for some darker corner
behind the toilet. there was no danger, i don't think we have poisonous
spiders in england, but i still felt very deeply afraid. of what i'm not
entirely sure - whether you could break it down into specifics i dunno. i
don't really want to. but at the moment they seem to be finding their way
out, i've seen three or four in the past couple of days. my brother is quite
cruel with them, he crushes them in crisp packets and stuff, he's not afraid
so i get him to deal with them usually - though i'm not sure i agree with
his methods, but what can i say? he gets results. i was quite proud of
myself when i found one on the curtain up in sheffield, only a titchy one
mind, and i managed to scoop it up and knock it out of the window. i'm on my
own up there man, against the odds. the other time i've dealt with one was
at home, my brother must've been out and my mum and my sister were cleaning
and they found one on the wall in my sisters bedroom - i haven't actually
really ever told anyone that i'm scared of spiders, not in my immediate
circle of family and friends anyway, but my mum and my sister share my fear,
and aren't so bothered about being vocal about it (i've considered that
that's where it comes from as well, but it's nicer to romanticize it in the
incident described above), and so with my brother and my dad not around they
asked me to deal with it. perhaps it was that responsibility, or the fear of
looking weak overriding the fear of the spider that day, but i managed to
bundle it into an empty crisp bag and out of the window with what i would
describe as consummate ease. but those two times are the only ones i've ever
gone near the things - only in the direst circumstances would i even
consider it.

so late that day in year five, i guess we couldn't have been learning about
the staphylococcus aureus virus all day, but that's how it sticks out in my
mind, so imagine mr oborsky in his grey suit and, i seem to recall, tinted
glasses explaining the ins and outs of the virus to us bemused children. but
there are always some kids who don't want to listen, no matter what the
subject matter right? well one such kid in our class was called david, he
had joined the class quite late, in year three i think, and wasn't very
bright, so he was a bit of an outcast, though his mum and my mum used to get
on pretty well - his dad even did the wrought iron gates on our drive here,
i remember him saying to my dad how difficult it was to get them level when
you're working on a hill. also, they had the spoiler nicked off their car
once, which i found hilarious at the time, and the family has since migrated
to ireland, only to come back to england within six months of going, and are
still living here in birmingham as far as i know. anyway david was messing
around with this massive rubber spider, you know the sort that you can buy
in toy shops, that are a bit bigger your hand, one of those - there wasn't
very long to go that day and i guess he was restless. we'd been playing with
the spider at playtime, chucking it around and all, i can handle the toy
ones, i don't mind them (at my secondary school there was a guy who was even
more afraid of them than i am, he couldn't even abide the toy ones, much to
the amusement of various people, but i deeply empathized, as i'm sure you
all do reading this now). he had this massive rubber spider out on his desk
i suppose, and mr oborsky spotted it, and he asked david to give it to him.
there wasn't really much david could do, so he handed it over, and mr
oborsky started scrutinizing it, turning it over as he walked back up to the
front of the class. once there he held the thing out towards all of us,
shaking it as though it were a cane or some sort of weapon,
"you know there are spiders in some parts of the world that are as big as
this?" he looked at it again, "bigger maybe. when i was about your age i was
living with my family in kenya, there are insects there which are much more
dangerous than anything you get over here..." he said, and he proceeded to
tell us all about how whenever you were putting a pair of socks on, or any
clothes really, you had to turn them inside out and check them thoroughly
before you put them on in case there was anything dangerous lurking inside.
and he told us how once he had forgotten to check a pair of gardening
gloves, and some ingeniously designed insect had burrowed into his skin, and
its spines were so arranged that it couldn't be pulled or coaxed out - and
how his uncle had had to burn the thing out with a lighter. he showed us the
scar on his hand, a big pink mark on his waxy skin, in the fleshy part
between his thumb and forefinger. "then one day i was reading alone in my
room" he said "it was the height of summer, so very very hot and i had gone
inside to get some shade. i happened to glance up from my book and saw this
gigantic spider sitting on the wall of my room" at this point he held the
rubber spider up against the classroom wall, so we could imagine what it
must've been like and described how the spider he saw was different from the
rubber one, its markings and so forth. "i was petrified" he continued "but i
quickly ran out to fetch my dad and my uncle, who were working in the
garden" he then went on to explain that they told him that the spider was
some very rare and poisonous breed, which i have now unfortunately forgotten
the name of. the three of them went back into the room, i think he said his
dad had gone and gotten some sort of net, in the hope of trapping the thing,
but when they got back into mr oborsky's room the spider was gone, without
trace. they searched the whole house, because you don't want an extremely
dangerous thing like that knocking around when there are children around,
but they couldn't find it. he went back to david's desk and plopped the
rubber spider down in front of him, "and i've never ever seen one since" he
said, "not even in a zoo." at that point the bell rang and he let us go,
which i remember thinking was odd because we hadn't said our prayers.

yours,
- kieran