Sinister: Its all out there!

Retro^Sec retrosec at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 19 23:56:38 BST 2003

Two weeks today, and I'm off. Off on a holiday, for
the first time in *counts on fingers* six years.
Off to France, y'see, with the family. And the
boyfriend.

I'd asked, back in December, that if my parents were
heading back to Norway, could I go too. I'd been
starting to feel something again, it might have been
indigestion, but something that made me yearn for five
days solid of sitting in a car, or throwing up in
vacuum toilets on ferries, to get to the most isolated
little village in Europe. It was as if there was some
sort of homing device that had been triggered in my
brain, and I needed to go back. I needed to spend time
there. But no. My parents announced they were going to
France. Did I still want to go? Did I really need to
think about passing over the chance of a free holiday
not done on the cheap?

My one concern is it will be sunny. And hot. And with
my Nordic blood very much against the idea of heat and
sun, I'm starting to wonder how I will cope. How can a
girl be acused of being all gothic if she is wearing a
sarong and a sun hat? Oh well.

I am looking forward to the sunny bits where it is a
bit cooler and I'm not melting entirely. Sort of first
thing in the morning and last thing in the evening.

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * *
It strikes me (with a big old ugly stick) that B&S
aren't doing that sitting-round-on-their-arses thing
they did for a while, a few years ago. Maybe that was
just me, but there was a spell, I'm surely not
mistaken, in 2000, when they didn't seem to be doing
anything. A whole year passed without a gig or a
record. I remember threatening to turn Travis. And now
we are blessed, with lots of little gigs in different
places for different reasons, and we've even had
records, on an almost regular basis. I don't want to
speculate on what got them to get their arses into
gear, but I'm thinking it was my threat.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *

The upshot of this, of course, is that people are
right back into discussing things again. Stuff like
what Marc Bots said, about the second coming of
Tigermilk. Oh, I wish. But I doubt it.

*goes into Simpsons comicstore owner mode*
Best Belle and Sebastian album, ever.
*/end dodgy impression*

Tigermilk was fantastic. But I think it'd be
unrealistic for them to do Tigermilk 2. We'd just (I
would) complain it was just a rehash of old stuff, and
not groundbreaking.

Certainly though, something as refreshing as Tigermilk
would be ace. But maybe they know their stuff far too
well now for that to happen, the naiviety and
innocence has been swept aide for lots of expensive
little flashy lights and twiddly knobs that cost
thousands to press.

And theres people like Lucy, who I have forgiven for
ruining my moment of glory by pointing out my car
shares the same name as squashed-trout-face Jamie
Olivers baby. She has been posting news, before even
Aunt Linda could say "B&S", in a cloud of dust, not
unlike Mr William Windsor in his Golf GTI on country
estates.

And there are those who are planning their trips to go
to America t see the gigs, being greedy and stealing
tickets away from the locals with their credit cards
while America, America, sleeps in a different time
zone as the news is posted up onto the website.

(I am teasing.)

Anyway. Thanks to my little contigent of people who
popped along and met me on Monday night. You know who
you are, but I had a lovely time, and I invite you to
Scotland and to stay anytime you like, as long as its
not at my house.

ta-ra

idles
xxx