Sinister: a post in quotes

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Sun Jun 22 05:38:16 BST 2003

"A boy can be mad ugly but if he smells good he can still get the filly."

In 1998, my brother heard the above from a hairdresser from Queens who
worked at the prestigious Von Curtis Salon. I once read an article about Von
Curtis after a car had jumped the curve and ran into their building
shattering glass and partially entering into their business/school. I
remember one dedicated beauty worker being quoted as saying something to the
effect of, "We just kept on working. We had dyes and perms to do - you can't
let broken glass keep you from things like that." It somehow reminded me of
that touching quote from King of the Hill, "You know, at the beauty academy
they teach us that people aren't black or white or yellow or red, but their
hair can be."
Employees of Von Curtis - I tip my trucker hat to you.

But - and this is said in my best Sophia impression here - I digress. Since
hearing this sagacious piece of wisdom my brother has married, had a child,
quit his teaching job to work for a grocery store, and now lives in a two
bedroom apartment with an air conditioner with a remote control. What other
sign of advance civilization and luxury living then an air conditioner with
a remote control? Thus, I would feel remiss if I kept this secret key of
insight into female nature to myself.

Sadly, I don't have any equal advice on how to make the boys swoon. This is
obvious since if I did Kevin Hyde could be quoted as saying, "as she always
rock my pants off" rather than just his socks being obliterated. However, I
shall dispense my own personal motto of life which I try to center my life
around as I find that it help keeps me on the straight and narrow. This
personal statement is, naturally, stolen from Oscar Wilde*. It is this:
"Life is too short to dance with ugly men." Repeat that one to yourself in
the mirror. No truer words were ever spoken.

And if that doesn't work for you then just do what I do and follow the
wisdom of Morrissey:
Word Magazine: Did you hear t.A.T.u.'s version of "How Soon Is Now?"
Morrissey: Yes, it was magnificent. Absolutely. Again, I don't know much
about them.
WM: They are teenage Russian lesbians.
Morrissey: Well, aren't we all?

Lastly, to those who are happily coupled and who have no need to hear such
words I must send out my congratulations. This is specifically going out to
Julie Sexpot of a Sauer and Werther David Hewitt who were married at the
first of this month. Aw, I remember back in the day when they were just
beginning to make eyes at each other from across the sides of the globe. I
would be hard pressed to find two people who I like more so the best of luck
to both of you. I only wish you didn't live all the way in Australia as I
miss visits with Julie tremendously. She once said she'd snog me and now
that will never happen. Now, every time I kiss someone I'll just sigh
discontentedly and say "*You're* no Sexpot." My life is forever ruined. But
congratulations anyway!

Well, being the bookshop girl I am I feel as if I've been attacked by a
swarm of rabid snitches with all of the Potter madness. There was a midnight
party at my own little bookshop where two other sinisters were in
attendance: the ever esteemed GayJay and then Eric (of former half bee
status) who I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting before. I was distracted by
the stress and dread of the looming crowd so I apologize that I wasn't very
good company. In fact, they spent most of their time in #sinister even when
I was just behind the counter nervously straightening things or staring at
my shoes while trying to calm myself down for the impending stampede soon to
come upon me. At some point, I realized I should be nice and try one of
those "conversation" things I hear everyone always talking about or, for
that matter, talking because of but I went with the "socially awkward and
silent" card instead. It's a good hand for me. Nevertheless, I'm glad they
came and I made them both give me hugs at the end because I don't let cute
boys get away from me without one, even if they don't really like girls.

I hope I didn't give either of them cooties...
Ll

*"If, with the literate, I am impelled to make an epigram, I never seek to
take the credit; We all assume that Oscar said it" - Dorothy Parker

PS - Yes, I meet people when I'm in the mountains of North Carolina but I
have no sinister meetups to report back from from my three week cross
country roadtrip which I just returned from. (Started in North Carolina all
the 2,000 miles to San Diego up the western sea coast to Seattle and then a
slow saunter across Montana to South Dakota until I dipped myself so far
south I ended up back home). This wasn't from lack of trying though and I'm
sorry that I missed SGS, Markelby, and Billzebub - all of who I wanted to
see.
PPS - I got tickets for the b&s show at prospect park in August. Whoot!