Sinister: dancing on Mars

Neil D neild at xxx.com
Mon Jun 23 22:00:27 BST 2003

Hello Sinister,

I've never posted and was granted a voice quite a while ago... Eventually
the creepiness of lurking for so long outweighed my lack of any real B&S
content, so here I am. I just wanted to be updated of any upcoming gigs but
was surprised by a whole community.

SPACE

Years back in university I was doing this design project, it was a web site
that showed a diary of an astronaut and his travels. My teacher then asks if
I've ever heard of Belle and Sebastian, and I say no. He tells me, and the
class that my project reminds him of this song "A Space Boy Dream."

So the next class he brings a cd in and plays it real loud for the class,
and explains his interpretation of the song: There's this guy who is going
to Mars, with his sister and his dad, and he's really apprehensive. When he
gets out with his family they meet the Martians, who aren't that bad really,
and they throw a big party and that's what that last bit of the song is,
where it kicks up a bit, it's the Martians playing some music and everyone
loves it and is dancing on Mars. He says that's what he thinks anyway, and
that's the kind of music he listens to. From then on I was hooked.

Now that I think about it the song really had nothing to do with the
project, other than the fact that it had an astronaut telling a story. I
think he just wanted an excuse to play some music for the class! Which was
alright with me.

REPORTING BACK

Well I have nothing to report back really as I've never seen a B&S gig! I
don't think they come to Canada too often. Well not to where I am at least.
I must admit I get slightly jealous reading the list and everyone going to
gigs and picnics every weekend it seems.

I did almost see B&S once in Stockholm last spring though, I would have had
to buy a ticket the night of the show, they were 1500:- which is over $200
CAN so I couldn't really afford it. But my friend went, and she ended up
going to the pub attached to the venue after the show, and said it was oddly
deserted as if no one knew about it. Then the whole band came out and they
were all on the dance floor, and she spent the evening hanging out with
them. They ended up going to this other club, and when asked for ID no one
in the band had any, so they got denied, if you can believe it! So the band
asked her and her friends to come back to the hotel and party with them, but
she declined. It would have been a cool first B&S gig...

That's enough for now, I think I'll go back to lurking

-Neil