Sinister: the special stars of track and field

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Tue Jun 24 20:15:39 BST 2003

I'm not much of a sports lover, but the other day I found myself at the
opening ceremony of the Special Olympics. This sporting event is held every
four years and mirrors the usual olympic events, only in the Special
Olympics you need an intellectual disability before you can take part. This
is the first year the event has taken place outside the United States of
America.

Being in the crowd for a big event is a somewhat strange experience... there
is always the creeping suspicion that you are there not to be an audience
yourself, but to appear on television as an audience. the coloured flags
they distributed to turn sections of the stadium into solid blocks of colour
certainly contributed to this. but getting to wave the flags
enthusiastically all the time was essentially enjoyable.

Less successful were the organisers attempts to discipline we flagwavers.
They had these cheerleader types down the front holding up big placards
telling us what to do with the flags, while shouters would shout
instructions. Sadly when you have a load of flagwavers in front of you it
was a bit hard to see what the placards said, and the noise of cheering
drowned out the shouters. Still, some amusement did ensue from the process.
One of the placards contained the word "SHIMMY", but the shouters all seemed
to render this as "SHIM-MAY!" like on South Park.

it was great fun cheering for all the athletes, who were themselves
delighted at the proceedings. the Iraqi team got a standing ovation. The USA
team did as well, partly because they had Muhammed Ali as a celebrity
supporter. the other great feature of the USA team was that it made up at
least a fifth of all the athletes, suggesting a hope for winning medals by
weight of numbers.

There was a lot of music at the event. The Corrs were rather lame, but they
did prove a hit with the intellectually disabled. There were a number of
drumming based acts, all reminiscent of popular Japanese mentalists Kodo, so
I thought they were G*R*A*T*E. Samantha Mumba's almost certainly mimed R&B
fluff was poptastic, U2's performance a bit generic, but the actual musical
highlight was a performance of that Riverdance. Taking a leaf from the USA
team, the largest EVER line of Irish dancers was assembled, something like a
hundred strong. The sound of two hundred feet tapping away on the stage
completely drowned out the orchestra behind them, a moment of extreme
strikingness.

Sadly Belle & Sebastian did not get to play, as they are neither Irish nor
special.

anyway, enough shite about sport. now let me tell me why I am going to be
unsubscribing for a little while. It is because I am going to the
Glastonbury Festival tomorrow. who knows, perhaps I might see some of you
there.

usual shoutouts apply - Pinefox, ~Stine, Foranotherdream, Carsmile, etc. you
know who you are.

bless you all,

ian