Sinister: The Last Round-Up

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sat Mar 1 16:05:12 GMT 2003

I walk into a boozer aptly tucked away west of Regent
Street, and find Hopkins and the Duke of H holding
court. Among the first times I can remember hearing
about the Duke was when my editor, in that boozer next
to the venue at Shepherd's Bush, said, - There's
someone here I want to meet. It was the Duke. Did he
want to meet my editor too? I don't know. He should
have done.

That was just the start of it. Somehow a supposedly
intimate gathering had mushroomed, like a stew or a
cloud. All manner of strangers and sisters were
present. Some of them were famous. I won't name names,
but there was some important speculation about
Bulgarians in Newcastle, Danes in Sheffield, and
whether Roxy Music had sold out by the time of 'Street
Life'. I prefer 'More Than This' myself, a real
audiophile sell-out record. The one name I'll now name
was the raison d'etre of this whole bash: for the
Geezer, Miller turned up. What next - a visit from
Llaura Llew?

The geezer looks about 10 years younger than he is. I
wish I looked 10 years younger than he is. Carsmile
and others talked about sinister past and future. Just
think how young the geezer must have looked when
sinister began. Carsmile looked younger than yesterday
too, in his lean and hungry way. In fact, he looked
good. The geezer suggested that 'Big Stu' was a
significant figure in sinister history. Yes, it was a
long time ago, that much is clear.

The geezer once gave away, or lent, his copy of
RATTLESNAKES, and never asked for it back. Between you
and me, I couldn't believe his attitude or conceal my
concern. Down the elegant canyons of Regent Street,
under the lights of Piccadilly Circus as midnight
neared, I told him he needed to give Lloyd another
chance. Their lives have been somewhat parallel.

Meanwhile, an extensive debate was held about geezers
and their aesthetics. I don't think my editor realizes
what he has started. The Geezaesthetic manifesto is
promised within the next fortnight. I don't think that
the geezer Miller fits into Geezaesthetics: he belongs
to the comic tradition. Certain figures were declared
to be affiliated to geezerdom despite their own
doubts. Glamour was said to be like a hamster's wheel.

Today is the first picnic of the year. It's a pity  I
can't attend. I haven't been to Brighton since the
1980s: or that's how it feels. Perhaps I have been
avoiding Julie Burchill, or Dean Wilkins.