Sinister: It's Cold Outside

Joanne Hill jlhill81 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 5 06:10:06 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I went to Montreal last month. God it was cold. Who on earth decided Canada
was a good place to settle should have stayed where they were. Silly French
people.

Thus, the winter does not do the city justice. Everything is closed, theres
no one around, and the romanticism that I'm sure the place doesn't come to
life. It's on hold. Hibernating. Also my lack of French language skills was
a pain in the arse. Its funny going to foreign countries and having to go to
Subway or McDonalds (not my choice of eatery, I was dragged there by my
traveling companion) and order food with English names, in another language.
It sounds so awkward. Je voudrais un cheeseburger. Me gusta un McChicken
sandwich con fries y Coke, por favor.

So yes, more so than Toronto Montreal has a bizarre mix of colonial French
and English (I particularly liked the mini Nelson's column) and monstrous
North American blandness. Apologies to all North Americans. I still like
Toronto better.

Not being able to go to Glasgow for this much discussed B&S gig, I'll have
to content myself with the equally good and even cuter Delgados. 4th April,
Lee's Palace, Toronto. I'm very excited. It'll mean I'm two thirds the way
through my 'must see before I die/get too old' list of bands. First was
Gorky's. Then there'll just be our Belle and Seb. I'm beyond excited.
Hopefully joining me will be Mr Jason Cochrane, my only sinister buddy so
far.

Oh, a little thank you to all you who emailed me about Pizzicato Five - I
bought 'Playboy/Playgirl' and its lush.

Not that this should turn into a war, or even a minor skirmish, but I found
it quite funny and also irritating (irritating enough to write this) that
Mark Cassarotto chose to tell someone off for their post, by posting to
everyone and thereby clogging up our inboxes again. Why not just delete it
and move on? Did it require the energy of posting a reply? I think you said
you used to be in Offbeat, in which case it was in the true spirit of that
society. There's so much bitchiness going on in the exec, and despite having
left years ago you are perpetuating the ugly feelings of animosity that
breed within. How unfortunate. Peace love and happiness everyone xxxx

Wow, you've made it to the end. Well done and thank you
Joanne x