Sinister: Only the dead fish go with the flow

Mark Brading m.brading at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 20 02:33:29 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for far too long. Or rather... I have been lurking. What
is the longest anyone has been reading the list; enjoying the list; without
posting? Your posts have been brightening up my day for a long while now, &
I feel really bad that my first post is going to disagree with most of the
people on the list...

...so lets have some B&S content before we get down to business.

I heard State I Am In on the radio, when they were offering Tigermilk for £8
if you sent an SAE. I wrote a cheque but never sent it. Idiot. Later, my
girlfriend took me to the Shepherds Bush gig. It was dire - and I fell in
love, with the girl, and with the band. After a while, I was head over heals
in love with both, so I asked the girl to marry me... she said no. She went
off with a German maths student - it was for the best, I was infatuated
rather than in love. But B&S never went away, and I have been in love ever
since. I have tickets for Glasgow... I'm counting the days.

So, back to the matter in hand. Saddam had until 1am this morning to leave
Iraq, or face war. In fact, even if he left, the US were going to attack
anyway. Our government voted last night to allow our troops to take part in
an invasion of Iraq against international law. Against global, nevermind
domestic, opinion. Against a lack of evidence that Iraq has weapons that
could attack anyone within 20 miles, nevermind 2000...

And I support that invasion.

Yes, I know this isn't a popular view on this list, but I support the war. I
believe that Tony Blair is an intelligent man, and much as I may disagree
with his domestic tactics, I think he's a good and just politician, and if
he believes (and is prepared to stake his career) on this war, then I will
support him.

I hate war. I hate violence. I abhor the idea that we are, inevitably, about
to kill innocent people. But I believe that if we stand by, then more
innocent people will die.

Given the chance, Saddam would destroy the world, as long as he was left in
control of the ashes.

I don't believe we are after oil, I don't believe we are after power. I
believe we are after peace.

The question is not 'should we go to war' - that's academic now. The
question is 'what should we do when we win?'. To quote people more
intelligent than me (and I'm not talking about Spiderman) - 'With great
power comes great responsibility'. Whatever happens to Iraq now is in our
hands. Let's hope we don't mess it up.

Sorry to post so off-topic, and so controversial. But by the time you read
this we'll probably be at war, and I thought that needed marking by
somebody.

May angels and ministers of grace defend us.

Mark