Sinister: Moral uncertainty?

Jeff Burke shiplore at xxx.com
Thu Mar 20 21:04:15 GMT 2003

Sorry for another war post if you get aggravated please stop here....

I'm always envious of everyone who protest or debate and has such a strong
opinion about this whole Iraq mess. because I've been so wavering it's very
disheartening.

People say killing and violence are bad and they are. but what would you do
if you saw a little kid being kicked by some roughs. You'd try to stop it.
even if you had to hurt the roughs.

Now i'm not saying that that analogy is appropiate for this topic but the
idea behind it is. The idea that sometimes other people force you to
violence.

I wasn't thrilled about this from the begining because I don't really
believe in the current administration, but oddly enough I was comforted by
Tony Blair supporting it.. He's labour and he's always been accused of
waffling (much like clinton was unjustly accused of) but he's really showing
the courage of his convictions despite the serious risk if not the death of
his political career.

The Opposition from other governments didn't bother me either. I could
explain away the french very easily as they'd be losing access to alot of
very cheap oil.

This war in iraq could cause problems for the US for years and years (say if
the "new" country elects a fundamentalist leader) or it could actually
stablize the region a little (if they elect a moderate democratic leader).
either way afterward the iraqi oil should go to the iraqi people

I don't think i'd lose any sleep if Saddam Hussein was arrestted or killed.
He's more than shown his disregard for the human race. so at it's heart the
goal of removing his government isn't one I can opposed harshly enough to
protest against.

Maybe i'm overly idealistic but i believe the US and UK armed forces aren't
out to kill civillians.

And please don't simplifiy arguements by chanting no blood for oil. This
isn't an empire expanding exercise to gain more oil. there's plenty of oil
in alaska and texas that the US hasn't even touched yet.. (thou' bush wants
to drill in alaska bad bad)

As much as I dislike Bush I do think he sees a wealthy (and that's where the
oil comes in) Saddam Hussein as a threat, it might be wrong, Saddam Hussein
might only be a threat to his own people, or his neighbors (If it came down
to waiting for Iraq to invade a neighbor again I'd surely vote to wait...but
then again I don't live in a neighboring country) but he's shown a psychotic
side to him that wouldn't make it a stretch for him to sell very bad weapons
who would use him, even if he wouldn't use them himself.

There's book i read called "special providence" by Walter Russell Mead..
it's an interesting take on US foreign Policy and it breaks it up in four
ways

Jeffersonian - Leave the world alone, let's all farm and produce what we
need without interphering or interacting with the rest of the world.
very Isolationist..

My comments --this aspect is really deeply embedded in the psyche of
americans, but it hasn't been used in practice since before World War I

Jacksonian - The world is a bad place, people are out to get us, we must
strike preemptively at threats to our way of life.

MC -- this is what's going on now, September 11 really shocked alot of
politicians mainly already conservative ones but Blair is an example of it's
effect on liberal ones as well. This is the motivation in my opinion for the
current Iraq war.

Hamiltonian -- We need to encourage global trade and commerce and need to
protect our interests abroad if they are threatened but main we should keep
to ourselves.

MC -- this is mainly what policy the US follows historically.  Clinton was
this with a bit of the next...

Wilsonian -- We live by the best system in the world, we need to spread free
market democracy everywhere we can, encourage it to grown and challenge it's
opponents..

MC-- by far the most idealistic, helping the underdog ETC...

I'm not sure why i'm rambling on like this... I know it doesn't make sense..
I've always been someone to try to consider all the other view points. and
in this case I can't intrinsicly say which is right and which is wrong. .I
guess in this world there's too much gray.

thanks for reading if you...did.

I'd love to hear from you..

sorry for clogging bandwidth.

peace