Sinister: the green felt battlefield, amongst others (hello to sinister)

Peter Harris peter_harr1s at xxx.uk
Mon Mar 31 18:58:28 BST 2003

Dear Sinister,
Gosh, a room full of faces.  Most of them look
friendly.  many of them look quite pretty, too!
I've been lurking for a couple of months, just to soak
up the atmosphere, and now, with a deep breath...

I'm afraid i'm here to bore you with yet another
introduction.  Hello, I'm peter harris, soon to be a
non-teenager as i hit the 20.  Unlike when i play
darts...

Rather than explain myself, i'll tell you my top ten
albums.  They probably speak volumes.
Shack - HMS Fable (1999)
Mr Briggs - Landscape And Liability (1999)
Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
Pavement - Terror Twilight (1999)
Belle And Sebastian - Tigermilk (1997)
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (2000)
Roger Waters - Amused To Death (1992)
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (1994)
REM - Automatic For The People (1992)
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (1998)
They are only my favourites as I can genuinely say i
love each song off them, many have come close, but
these ten made it.

I have been moved to post by some of your wonderful
prose.  Is it weird speaking about 1400-odd people as
a single entity?  So many fractions making up a whole
must be almost unique.

Anyway, Ken Chu said:
'Ahh, yes, a fellow late night poker enthusiast. The
next question for Chris though, should be "Can you
explain the dealer button to us?"'
"Well, it's a disc which moves one seat round the
table each hand.  The player to the immediate left
posts a compulsory bet known as the small blind, then
the player to their left posts double that figure, the
big blind.  That's what gets the action going.

Insofar as i have a profession outside of being a
university student (Social Anthropology and
Archaeology, sounds swish - isn't), my leading
money-making venture is in the world of hold 'em poker
(£60 this academic year).  Anyone want copies of Late
Night Poker series 3,4,5 and 6? (including Beans!)?
email me!  For those of you not so card-savvy, may i
recommend the film 'Rounders', starring Matt Damon,
Edward Norton and John Malkovich.  Very enjoyable,
even if you don't tickle the felt.

In reference to the 'war', my grandad taught me that
listening to people's opinions is enough.  May i be so
bold as to direct you to 'Amused to Death' by Roger
Waters; he lost his father in world war 2 and i think
the album speaks volumes about modern conflict and the
nature of "civilised" humanity.

I think all the problems in the world stems from one
thing - unhappiness.  So, i do as much as i can to
make people happy - grass roots stuff, just smiling at
people, giving unexpected presents, saying nice things
at the right time.  If you can make others happy, you
are doing the most powerful thing possible.

Incidentally, i think the happiest spice is cinnamon.
I had it for all 3 meals the other day and was
super-happy.  Is there a greater spice??

Just before i go, i'll drum up some content.  I am
glad that the band are the reason for so many fine
minds existing on sinister. I appreciate the causes
that the band support; it says something about a band
when they will headline a charity concert.  Using
music to increase social awareness.  It works.
Much to my chagrin, i am too poor to afford a concert
ticket; i have seen them a couple of times before, so
i may just put on a CD and dance around my bedroom
that night.

Anyway, that's all for now; sorry to those of you who
hate these lack-of-content emails, but i suppose if
this had been a blistering email, improvement would
have been impossible.

Much love,
Peter