Sinister: you shanked my Jengaship

Kevin Hyde kmhyde at xxx.edu
Mon Mar 31 23:02:00 BST 2003

Hellloooo Sinister,

I finished reading Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest" the other day, at 7
in the morning. It was amazing. I was absolutely reminded of something
that Michael Chabon said about Gabriel Garcia-Marquez and Love in the
Time of Cholera, "that book almost made it so that I would never have to
write again. It was so close to perfect." Or something like that.

Oh, but I kid. I had the super-urge to write after seeing Idles' post
which featured a mysteriously null-setted section on Cankles, which,
yeah, I can totally fill you in on, since you're all probably dying to
know:

Cankles, according to my younger brother, are a rarely seen phenomenon
in certain females. The word cankle comes from combining 'calf' and
'ankle', and the actual physical thing is a similar deal- when a girl's
calf muscle looks like it goes straight down into her shoe, then she has
cankles. I think it's kind of a pejorative term, as it goes that the
more slender-type (or muscular at least) ladies usually have a nice sort
of reverse circumflex curve that shows where the calf ends and the ankle
begins.

Anyway, besides that, I have been lately watching the Homestar Runner
cartoons, which are hilarious, and on the same reference-per-frame level
as maybe Mystery Science Theater 3000, or even the Simpsons (well, not
quite, but they are funny). I'm not sure if many of you have heard of
it, but it's gaining a wider following here in the states at least, and,
uh, they're just great. (www.homestarrunner.com)

I had more (and more interesting) things to say, but I'm at work right
now, and I get the creepy feeling sometimes that the office is insulated
in some kind of synapse-deadening material. Anyway, hope you're all
well,

Kevin